Help me how to find this?

Come along and discuss anything you want. Talk about what inspires you, or talk about the weather.
Pjharii
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 1- 0

Mon May 09, 2016 6:35 pm  

"Get interested in your boredom " Mindfulness Twitter account had tweeted this.
I'm trying hard the above statement but could not find interest in boredom. Pls help on this quote/statement? Thanks

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Mon May 09, 2016 7:38 pm  

Well, we have a tendency to fight boredom as though it was our enemy. But what happens when we turn towards that feeling of boredom and become interested in it as part of our present moment experience?
Like any other thought or feeling, it's fleeting. So why not lay out the welcome mat for it?
That's all really, as far as I can see into it.
Why do you think the quote grabbed you so?
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Gareth
Site Admin

Tue May 10, 2016 11:47 am  

I'm trying to teach this lesson to my son all the time. It's a perfectly natural and normal human feeling.

It's when we aren't able to tolerate boredom that the trouble begins...

Happyogababe
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2008

Tue May 10, 2016 11:56 am  

I think it's a good opportunity to be mindful. Acknowledge that you are bored and observe how the mind works when it tries to find something else to occupy you. :)
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf' Jon Kabat Zinn

MiM
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 5-2015

Tue May 10, 2016 4:28 pm  

Today, I find it more like a problem that there are so many distractions everywhere, that there is no "time" to be bored.
Stands at the sea, wonders at wondering: I a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
-Richard Feynman-

JonW
Team Member

Tue May 10, 2016 6:35 pm  

Good point, MiM.
I was on a train earlier and couldn't help but notice that every single person in the carriage was staring gormlessly at some kind of electronic screen. Apart from me, of course. I was staring gormlessly at the view outside. :shock:
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Pjharii

Wed May 11, 2016 4:07 am  

JonW wrote:Well, we have a tendency to fight boredom as though it was our enemy. But what happens when we turn towards that feeling of boredom and become interested in it as part of our present moment experience?
Like any other thought or feeling, it's fleeting. So why not lay out the welcome mat for it?
That's all really, as far as I can see into it.
Why do you think the quote grabbed you so?
Cheers,
Jon

Hey, thnks for ur response. Yes you are right, to turn the same boring moment into present moment experience. Have read this everywhere. But in practical can you share words on how to be in present moment. assume me beginner in this subject

Pjharii

Wed May 11, 2016 4:12 am  

MiM wrote:Today, I find it more like a problem that there are so many distractions everywhere, that there is no "time" to be bored.

haha.. you are true! But for few people who have been with those distractions quite longtime, there comes a time, they cannot be satisfied with any of those distractions, but natural self :) But again since they are new to the subjects of Realizing Self and the stuff, they come up with these questions :)

JonW
Team Member

Wed May 11, 2016 12:46 pm  

Well, we tune into the present moment by being mindful. To become mindful, we establish a regular meditation practice.
Mindfulness is not concerned with 'Realising Self'. If that's what you're looking for, you might be better off with a non-duality site.
All best,
Jon

•   Information