Help! Too focused on breath!

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
chrisj22

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:11 pm  

Hi guys/gals,

I'm new to this site and after some help, please.

I've been meditating on and off for around two years (more off than on to be honest), however, I have been religious with it daily for six months, morning and night.

Lately I've been reading and watching a lot of Eckhart Tolle regarding mindfulness and although I've naturally been doing it without realising whilst, say, driving etc, I know at times my mind has wondered when I have been making a cup of coffee, folding the washing etc etc, so I have been trying to be mindful whilst doing basic chores if you will and really getting breathless.

I don't feel as though I am going in too hard, it's strange? I also went for a walk earlier this afternoon and was being mindful of the sea, the birds, the trees etc - not judging, not even commenting on them, but my breath was short again.

Is this 'normal' at first? will it go? Is it my ego clutching on at 'something' to remind me it's still there?

I will add I began meditating following the breath as a beginner, whereas now I follow affirmations.

Thanks

Chris

monkey

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:11 pm  

Hi NeverSurrender. Mark Williams also has another book, 'The Mindful Way Through Depression' which is aimed at people with depression. That would also be a good one to read as it fits your situation. The other one is great, but is aimed at a more general audience.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Mindful- ... 1593851286
everybody just bounce

monkey

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:25 pm  

chrisj22 wrote:Hi guys/gals,

I've been meditating on and off for around two years (more off than on to be honest), however, I have been religious with it daily for six months, morning and night.

Lately I've been reading and watching a lot of Eckhart Tolle regarding mindfulness and although I've naturally been doing it without realising whilst, say, driving etc, I know at times my mind has wondered when I have been making a cup of coffee, folding the washing etc etc, so I have been trying to be mindful whilst doing basic chores if you will and really getting breathless.

I don't feel as though I am going in too hard, it's strange? I also went for a walk earlier this afternoon and was being mindful of the sea, the birds, the trees etc - not judging, not even commenting on them, but my breath was short again.

Is this 'normal' at first? will it go? Is it my ego clutching on at 'something' to remind me it's still there?

I will add I began meditating following the breath as a beginner, whereas now I follow affirmations.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris. I have this sometimes, or have done in the past and it sometimes comes back again and I have to work out what I'm doing! For me it's about excessive tension and control, I am really clamping down in my mind on what's happening, really trying to, hnnggggggg, pay... attention... hnggggg. I remember hanging out washing and thinking 'right, I've really got to be present and notice what's happening here' and getting really short of breath, as you say and feeling utterly miserable about the whole enterprise.

I think that it takes a while to learn how to notice without using excessive amounts of mental force, but it does happen. I have also found, recently, that just forgetting about mindfulness in the day has been much better for me. I sit every day, like you, and that naturally builds the habit in your mind of coming back to what's happening. You don't need to do anything in the day, it will just happen - you drift off into thoughts and then you come back to what's here, you drift off, you come back. You can't really be totally mindful all the time, I think (perhaps people will disagree), minds just do think and that's ok.

When you come back to what's happening now, when you start noticing what you're hearing, seeing etc just notice that you've come back. That's all that you need to do really. It will just happen because you have the formal practice to train your brain to do it. Anyway, that's what's worked better for me, just backing off and letting things be how they are and not trying to force it.
everybody just bounce

chrisj22

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:38 pm  

monkey wrote:
chrisj22 wrote:Hi guys/gals,

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris. I have this sometimes, or have done in the past and it sometimes comes back again and I have to work out what I'm doing! For me it's about excessive tension and control, I am really clamping down in my mind on what's happening, really trying to, hnnggggggg, pay... attention... hnggggg. I remember hanging out washing and thinking 'right, I've really got to be present and notice what's happening here' and getting really short of breath, as you say and feeling utterly miserable about the whole enterprise.

I think that it takes a while to learn how to notice without using excessive amounts of mental force, but it does happen. I have also found, recently, that just forgetting about mindfulness in the day has been much better for me. I sit every day, like you, and that naturally builds the habit in your mind of coming back to what's happening. You don't need to do anything in the day, it will just happen - you drift off into thoughts and then you come back to what's here, you drift off, you come back. You can't really be totally mindful all the time, I think (perhaps people will disagree), minds just do think and that's ok.

When you come back to what's happening now, when you start noticing what you're hearing, seeing etc just notice that you've come back. That's all that you need to do really. It will just happen because you have the formal practice to train your brain to do it. Anyway, that's what's worked better for me, just backing off and letting things be how they are and not trying to force it.

Thanks for this - makes perfect sense.

Think I'm putting a shedload of pressure on myself as I like to think I've got a good level of awareness, so my ego is telling me I should be getting this immediately :D

Funny thing is, when I'm not 'trying', I'm often doing something and then notice I'm in the moment, being the presence etc, and smile, so I think I'm over-thinking it.

I also think I'm experiencing another part of an awakening; I've had one episode before. My 'self' is going through the changes and the symptoms are there again. Anxiety being one of them.

Fortunately it's short term!

•   Information