Mindfulness and Addiction

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
LucidMind

Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 pm  

Have any of you guys and gals dealt with an addiction by using mindfulness? What would that process look like?

GirlcalledGed

Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:07 pm  

Hi I think I have an 'addictive personality' and the way that manifested was via food mainly. Before finding mindfulness I read Gillian Riley's book and followed her advice which I know understand to be a mindful approach to food addiction. She states that the feeling of unsatisfied addictive desire, whether it's for food, cigarettes, drugs etc etc is the key to overcoming the addiction. She advices the reader to let the feeling be, don't fight it or deny it. Acceptance is key to diminishing it long term. she is advising to be mindful of the addictive desire as and when it is happening by recognising it and letting it be. And it works. Not sure if this is what you were after but just thought I would share my experience. Thanks

LucidMind

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:45 pm  

Interesting...thanks so much for sharing. Do you mind sharing a few tips on ways you were able to "let that feeling be?". What kind of mindfulness exercises did you practice to help you?

GirlcalledGed

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:44 am  

well to let it be I accept my desire is there, I begin by tuning into the breath and each moment. Then I locate where in the body the desire is. What it looks and feels like etc. Consider if it's solid or fluid. Identify and accept the secondary sensations, anxiety, anger, regret, identify where they are and what they look like, their fluidity. Go back to the breath if my mind wanders. Meditate on the desire I guess.
then there's the pivotal question of choice, am I really choosing to accept this desire in the present moment for what it is or is it just to get to where I want to be (free of addiction). When I eat addictively does it really feel like my choice or is it rebellion against years of denial and a 'tool' to get to where I want to
My brain is conditioned to be fixated on the future of 'when I am free of this life will be great'. That's a lie. I know that but I still can't seem to accept it.
What are your experiences?

•   Information