How To Be Mindful While Reading

Please post your mindfulness stories here and your story might also feature on our blog (with your permission). You can also introduce yourself here. We want to create a library of mindful journeys and experiences.
sati

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:52 pm  

Here is an inspiring post on how to read and be mindful at the same time.

The article is full of information and practical advice. It even suggests the use of ear plugs!

http://axelg.com/mindfulness-while-reading.html

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:00 am  

Thanks Sati,
That's an interesting piece.
I read voraciously and I'm a naturally speedy reader. Of late, I've been reading more mindfully, stopping occasionally to visualise a certain description, for instance.
All best,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

sati

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:18 pm  

Hi Jon!

Thanks for your reply.

That's really interesting.

People spend hours reading, so why not combine it with casual mindfulness practice...

RobDack

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:19 pm  

Hello all.

I've found my reading habits when I'm at home, versus when I'm at the cottage, to be very different. When at the cottage, I'm very mindful naturally when reading, taking breaks to enjoy what is happening around me, to visualize what I've just read and let it sink in. At home, not so much, most likely because I find myself reading in an environment not nearly as enjoyable or stimulating as the cottage outdoors.

I plan to adjust my home reading environment to make it more inviting to being mindful. More natural light (during the day), a more comfortable chair to sit in, so that I'm not 'flopping' all over the place, adjusting my position every five minutes. I'm lucky that I have a great view from my bedroom window that goes on for miles, yet I don't take advantage of that view much - I'm not sure why. I will be changing that, and allowing my natural love for nature to emerge again when at home.

sati

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:19 am  

Hello RobDack!

What you write is so true. It's normal to be caught up in stress and to have a backlog of things to do, while at home. That naturally makes for restlessness.

That is the main reason meditators withdraw and spend time in retreat. It's much easier to meditate when you are in a secluded place.

It's most conducive to mindfulness training to switch off your gadgets while you practice. Likewise, sitting comfortably does away with physical discomfort. The fewer distractions your are exposed to, the easier it is to be mindful.

I fully agree, a clean and inspiring environment is really supportive...

•   Information