Mindfulness Groups

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
Star Shine

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:59 pm  

Hello everyone,

Over the last year or so I have been exploring the practice of mindfulness. During the last few weeks my commitment to this has increased, likely as a result of completing a Raja Yoga meditation course. This taught me some really valuable techniques.

However I don't really buy into the whole yoga or buddhist philosophies. I think they are great but I just can't make myself believe some of their teachings.

This has led me to feel somewhat isolated as I really want to be able to practice with others and feel I have a lot to learn, but I don't know where to turn to for support. Okay there are plenty of books out there but most of the mindfulness practices where I live seem to be either short courses or based on Buddhism or Yoga.

So I suppose my question is, are there groups that meet to practice purely mindfulness meditation and focus on the mind? Has anyone else had the same obstacle and how did you overcome it?

Thanks!

Gareth
Site Admin

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:04 am  

Mindfulness for me has always been purely secular, devoid of any philosophies or beliefs. Mindfulness is a human quality that we can all cultivate. I feel like it is stronger when it is divorced from any baggage that it comes with.

I'm sure that Buddhists would disagree with me on this.

I know that Jon started up his own mindfulness group; I'm sure he'll weigh in soon. Whereabouts are you based?

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:32 pm  

Hi there, Star Shine.
Yes, as Gareth mentioned, I run my own mindfulness meet-up group in Brighton. It's been going for just over a year and we now have 115 members. We get together to chat rather than meditate although group mentioned has been mentioned as a possibility for the near future. I've done picnics but pub meetings seem to be mor popular. Not all 115 members turn up which is just as well as I usually get the first round in. :) The average attendance is ten and there's always a few new people attending each meeting. It's a great way to hook up with like-minded folk and I've met a few people who are now firm friends. So I highly recommend it.
If there's no such group in your area, you might want to consider setting one up yourself. It's extremely easy to set up and costs less than a tenner a month to run.
Here's the link:
https://secure.meetup.com/create/
If you need any more info, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
All best wishes,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Steve

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:16 pm  

Hi Star Shine

You might find some yoga classes incorporate meditation/mindfulness into their practice - I think hatha yoga has a particular emphasis on breathing.

My original mindfulness teacher used to incorporate yoga into her classes which I enjoyed - yoga then becoming part of the meditation practice.

Steve

Star Shine

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:12 pm  

Thanks for the responses :)

I'm based in Bristol so a bit far from Brighton! I would be interested in setting something up though. I imagine it would be quite a difficult thing to get going as I wouldn't know how to get people interested or finding those who already are!

How did you start getting people involve Jon?

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:05 pm  

Hi Star Shine.
My group grew pretty quickly mainly because of the way Meetup.com works. When you set up a mindfulness group you list your general interests. eg. Meditation, spirituality…As soon as your group is launched, people with similar interests who are members of other groups are notified of the existence of your own group. Then those who are interested in mindfulness are likely to join your group. And so it grows and it grows.
All best,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

•   Information