Stuck on week 5

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
piedwagtail91
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 3-2011

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:55 am  

" I analyse everything far too much in my life (thoughts in particular)"

this is what mindfulness can help you with.
it can help you to just notice your thoughts rather than get involved with them.
letting go of them and not living them can give a great sense of freedom and peace.

i would second calm one on this and ask to be referred to a class.
session 5 is the one where most people have trouble.

it is easier having someone guide you through the course than trying to understand and practice it yourself.
mindfulness can seem very complicated if you have no one to ask and learn from

Gareth
Site Admin

Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:13 pm  

I am the logical, analytical type too. I wouldn't class myself to be in the slightest bit spiritual. I used to spend lots of time in my thoughts, analysing (over-analysing) my experiences.

I actually think that this type of person has the most to benefit from mindfulness. I spend so much less time in my thoughts these days, and my life is much fuller and more peaceful because of it. It's still possible to think about the future of course, but these days it is more on my own terms. About a hundred times in any given day, I notice that my mind has wandered (usually to the future), and more often than not, I bring it back because the train of thought is pointless.

The benefits of mindfulness crept up on me very slowly, the benefits weren't obvious straight away, but something kept me practising. It's very hard to answer the question "when will this work for me?" but I do honestly believe that every human being has something that they can gain from the practice. I can understand why someone would give up, not feeling any benefit, but it is really worth persisting. What have you got to lose?

stavros16

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:37 pm  

It sounds like mindfulness will be beneficial for me even if I may not be in the right place for it at present. Maybe raises another interesting point about whether prescription meds for anxiety/depression have a negative impact on mindfulness as they can suppress emotion to a certain degree. I will try to get involved with a class if I can afford to, but in the first instance will try a referral through the NHS.

I really do appreciate everyone's thoughtful words and advice on the matter :)

FeeHutch
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2012

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:35 am  

Sounds good Stav, and keep talking to us too :) Even if you have to wait a little while to start a course you are still a valuable member of the community.
Take care :)
“Being mindful means that we take in the present moment as it is rather than as we would like it to be.”
Mark Williams

http://adlibbed.blogspot.co.uk/p/mindfulness-me-enjoy-silence.html
Find me on twitter - @feehutch

James123

Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:28 pm  

I am on week 5 at the moment but don't seem to be having the same troubles as some as I understand its the week many tune away or just stick with previous meditations. I'm the opposite, I want to learn about true acceptance as it's a huge challenge for me because I have become a leading expert on gorilla avoidance tactics.

However, as soothing as Mark's voice is, it becomes a tad annoying when focusing on the Exploring Difficulties meditation. Just as a difficult thought comes to mind and is resting on the workbench or I've dropped in to the body he'll start talking again I lose the thread.

He mentions how it really helps to do the Breath & Body/Sounds & Thoughts in order to ground yourself first, but I'd like to try the Exploring Difficulties meditation without the CD.

Has anyone done this and if so, what did you do to ground yourself beforehand? Just focus on the breath for 5 mins before?

Sorry for all the questions by the way. I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere and the nearest mindfulness course is many moons away!

Niccy

Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:25 pm  

Hi there. I'm also very rational and analyse my thoughts all the time. I use Headspace which is an online guided meditation tool which is really helpful. The key for me is just learning to notice and experience my thoughts and feelings without making judgements or over analysing

Niccy

Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:26 pm  

Keep at it but don't try too hard. It's about doing it, not doing it well or badly. Good luck

Gareth
Site Admin

Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:27 pm  

Have you thought about an online course? I know that those are becoming increasingly available these days.

•   Information