Meditating my way out of depression

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
Niccy

Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:27 pm  

In the midst of yet another episode of anxiety and depression, I went on a yoga and meditation weekend ina beautiful and very peaceful centre in South Wales. Although I have been practicing yoga for a while. This was my first experience of meditation.

I arrived home after the weekend feeling much calmer and much more grounded. I was talking to a friend about it and he suggested I tried headspace. Having done Take 10, I signed up for a year. I'm on Take 15, really love it, and trying hard not to think about whether I was meditating "well" or "badly" - or rather noticing that as usual I was passing judgement on myself and my experiences

I spent today at the North London Buddhist Centre on a meditation day. So I now meditate (almost) every day, and while I am still taking anti-depressants, regular exercise and what is developing into a regular meditation practice is really helping

FeeHutch
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2012

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:31 pm  

Hello Niccy and welcome to our community.
It sounds like mindful meditation is having a positive impact during a difficult time which is lovely to read.

I look forward to getting to know you better and hope you enjoy being a member of our community. :)
“Being mindful means that we take in the present moment as it is rather than as we would like it to be.”
Mark Williams

http://adlibbed.blogspot.co.uk/p/mindfulness-me-enjoy-silence.html
Find me on twitter - @feehutch

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:20 pm  

Hi Niccy.
Great to hear that meditation is bringing benefits for you.
Please make yourself at home here. I look forward to reading your future posts.
All best, Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Niccy

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:30 pm  

Thanks both :)

Gareth
Site Admin

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:43 am  

There was a point in my practice when I thought to myself 'I think this might be having an effect on me.' So I made a conscious effort to meditate every single day without fail, and also to lengthen my practice a little which was fairly short. These steps made an even bigger impact on my wellbeing and my peacefulness, and I haven't looked back ever since.

It's lovely to meet you, and I hope this journey continues to have a positive impact on you.

Bitterballen

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:21 pm  

Thanks for sharing this story. Much like Gareth I found that the practice has started a virtuous circle where the positive impact of the practice encourages me to practice more, which brings further benefits....and so on. This realisation came quite recently and suddenly to me (about 2 or 3 weeks ago after regular practice of about 8 or 9 months).

Galactic Nomad

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:34 pm  

Hi Niccy,

Welcome, it was great to read that your practice has started to bare fruit, as much in the flow and rhythm of your life (that sense of peace and contentment) as well as within the moment (your ability to identify self judgement).

I look forward to reading of how this flourishes, as well as the learning's and insights that come along the way as you continue your practice.

Sincerely,
Nomad

miahcalm

Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:34 pm  

Hi Nicci, that's great news for you, hope it continues. I also subscribed to Headspace in an attempt to allow me to live with anxiety and its feelings. I tried finding peace in a frantic world as a first step into meditation mindfulness but for some reason couldn't stick with the daily meditation, will go back one day to revisit I hope.

It may be the short guided meditations in Headspace but like you its really helping me so far, I'm only halfway through Take20 but have now been sitting every morning and actually look forward to it.

I still struggle to take this through the day with me and to be mindful during the working day but little steps each day.

Good luck on your progress Nicci

•   Information