How to work with chronic worry

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
Mindfulness Newbie

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:24 pm  

Thanks again for your input. Really appreciate it.

What I will TRY to do is, when that feeling of dread with the impulse to try to think a situation through arise, be aware of them and inquire into what 'this' feels like, where, and what thoughts are arising with those emotions and sensations.

It will be hard work, I have been a worrier all my life. It is a family trait. But there is no real alternative.

So, here goes... :)

piedwagtail91
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 3-2011

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:29 pm  

Good luck.
It may be that if you can focus on the sensations in your body that it may be less painful than the thought's themselves.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:35 pm  

I too have been a worrier all my life, until I started to meditate.
Here's the thing though. We are all naturally choosy about the thoughts we have. We love warm, positive thoughts and we'd rather not have any negative thoughts at all. Mindfulness doesn't discriminate. It's not teaching us to live so that we only have positive thoughts and banish the negative thoughts. We learn to appreciate all thoughts as thoughts and to see them for what they are - simply ideas and feelings arising. This is not to distance ourselves from life. Quite the opposite. It's about learning to be completely honest and intimate with our raw experience.
The likes of Jon Kabat-Zinn, Mark Williams, Danny Penman and Ed Halliwell explain this brilliantly in their books.
Good things, Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

RoddyGibbs

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:11 pm  

“I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.”

I've always been a worrier, I continue to be a worrier. What mindfulness has helped me do is catch myself before my thoughts turn into catastrophic stories.

As for when particular uncomfortable feeling/sensations arise, try to embrace those too. I call it the Rumi Guesthouse technique (which is a great poem to read). I often times see if I can drop the label of anxiety, fear, or sadness - and just feel the sensation in the body with curiosity.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:30 pm  

Gotta love Mark Twain.
"The Rumi Guesthouse technique" is a wonderful idea.
Please stick around here, Roddy, and contribute to the site. We are steadily building a wonderfully supportive community. Your contributions are enormously welcome.
My best, Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

FeeHutch
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2012

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:18 am  

Hi Roddy and ditto what Jon says, lovely to meet you :)
“Being mindful means that we take in the present moment as it is rather than as we would like it to be.”
Mark Williams

http://adlibbed.blogspot.co.uk/p/mindfulness-me-enjoy-silence.html
Find me on twitter - @feehutch

barbs55
Team Member

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:44 am  

Gareth is so right - we chronic worriers hope mindfulness and meditation will 'cure' us at first, and we'll stop being worriers, but as we practice more we realise that the worry thoughts will continue to arise and that is OK, but we no longer have to believe them as 'facts' or run with them. I love the idea of the 'Rumi guest house' technique! I am still at the stage where I notice the anxious thoughts and can smile at myself a bit, but I can't yet 'embrace' them - too many years of resistance, but I am hopeful that this too could come.

barbs55
Team Member

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:32 pm  

Just posted this from a really helpful article on our Facebook page : "Everyone’s mind wanders, even people who have been meditating for 50 years. It’s part of what the brain does. In fact, you could make the argument that the more it wanders the more you have an opportunity to train the mind to see “choice points” to gently bring it back. What you practice and repeat becomes a habit and so you’re strengthening the habit of choice."

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/mindfulne ... #more-3936

piedwagtail91
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 3-2011

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:44 pm  

:D i've just been reading that as well!

•   Information