Hello

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
flow

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:04 pm  

Hello, new to the board.

I find the twitter posts comforting. This one today made me come to this board to respond: Wow, anxiety explosion whilst walking the streets. Chest feels hella tight. Cue mindfulness practice to bring myself back. (via @AdamAxon)

The everyday fleeting thoughts that make me uneasy, and the realization that others get them too, and that they are not part of me. Just acknowledging the way I feel for a minute or so, breathing, maybe thinking something pleasant, I can feel the dread melting away. A thought that helps me during those moments is thinking there's nothing I have to do right now except just be.

So in my journey I'm being more aware. I'm finding it tricky to define what I'm being aware "of", so I will just leave it at "aware" for now. I benefit from taking moments during the day to remind myself that all is well--relax my shoulders, breathe, smile--and the twitter posts help me to remind me to "check in".

thank you to whomever posted that tweet!

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:37 pm  

Hi Flow.
Welcome to the gang. I think you'll find us a friendly and helpful bunch.
It is a comfort to know that one is not alone in being tormented by thoughts.
Just being aware of the knowledge that we don't need to be held hostage by our thoughts is often enough.
Hope to hear from you again on this forum.
All good things, Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Gareth
Site Admin

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:52 pm  

Hi,

I tweeted that this morning because I want this site to be about average people and how mindfulness can help. That tweet seemed to fit the bill, because it was from just a normal person who mindfulness had helped.

Mindfulness helps me in these small ways every day, and I want it to help others too. My illness might cause me to stumble or fall, but mindfulness enables me to come back, instead of starting some story about how bad my life is.

I'm really glad that the tweet helped and that you came to the forum. Please stick around and help us build this community. How long have you been practising?

FeeHutch
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2012

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:14 pm  

Welcome to our community Flow, I look forward to getting to know you :)
“Being mindful means that we take in the present moment as it is rather than as we would like it to be.”
Mark Williams

http://adlibbed.blogspot.co.uk/p/mindfulness-me-enjoy-silence.html
Find me on twitter - @feehutch

flow

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:19 pm  

Hi Gareth,

It was the "everydayness" of the tweet that made it so valuable, that mindfulness can be ongoing, routine, like exercising, brushing teeth, emptying the dishwasher, attending to mail, not letting it build up until it becomes overwhelming.

I've left a stressful job through early retirement, and I'm enjoying finding myself again. I can see that so many of my difficulties were due to being rushed and trying to fulfill competing demands in unreasonable time restrictions, and feeling that my inability to cope was my fault. The unrelenting pressure led to sleeplessness, depression, and anxiety. Those problems have dissipated over the past few months since leaving.

Occasionally (yesterday morning, just before I noticed the tweet) I get a pang (panic pang?--hard to describe)--a thought that things might not be well, a tensing, churning, and my body seems to brace itself for the inevitable slide backward. And yet--a moment's pause to shift, to literally catch my breath, a slight refocus, a minute shift of the steering wheel, a few seconds to remember that a response is not necessary. The sunshiny joy of feeling the darkness slip away, leaving me still and collected, is not a small thing for me. I went on to have a wonderful day with my daughter.

The everyday can be extraordinary. Great to be reminded of this.

•   Information