Mindfulness, time and digital media research

Come along and discuss anything you want. Talk about what inspires you, or talk about the weather.
rebecca.coleman
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jul 2019

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:13 pm  

Hello Everyday Mindfulness community

I am a sociologist based at Goldsmiths, University of London, and a beginner at mindfulness practice, who is currently doing research on how how digital media change our perceptions and experiences of time - for example, through a feeling that time is sped up or too fast, instantaneous connections, real-time reporting on personal or social events. As part of this, I am studying how mindfulness seeks to focus attention on the present.

Would anyone be interested in talking to me about this topic? Or alternatively in replying to this thread? I don't have pre-conceived ideas about what you might say - I'm interested in what is important to you.

I'm happy to answer questions you might have on this thread, or you can email me at: rebecca.coleman[at]gold.ac.uk

Ethical approval for the research has been granted by Goldsmiths, but I am happy to talk more about informed consent, anonymity etc with anyone who might want to participant in the project.

Thanks,

Beckie

Gareth
Site Admin

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:26 pm  

Thanks for the topic, Becki. I'll see if I can draw some attention to it.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:14 pm  

I've had a chat with Beckie, Gareth, and she is popping down to Brighton to interview me in a couple of weeks.
Her project is a really good one so it would be marvellous if you could put the word out there.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

rebecca.coleman
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jul 2019

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:36 am  

Thank you Gareth and Jon.

BronteFan
Practice Mindfulness Since: 11 Dec 2018

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:37 pm  

LyapisKis wrote:и как до такого можно додуматься )))

I'm very sorry to disappoint you but you've got more chance of getting an answer if you communicate in English, French or Spanish as these languages are more widely understood.
Let your creativity run free.
You can be who you want to be.
You can do what you want to do.
The only 1 you have to please is you.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:11 pm  

I suspect it was a spam post, Ann. Gone now.
All best,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

BronteFan
Practice Mindfulness Since: 11 Dec 2018

Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:41 pm  

O.K. Thank you very much, Jon. There are some real posters who post in languages you don't understand sometimes too. I thought that if I explained that & why then if the poster wanted people to talk to them they'd know to talk in a language people understood or else talk to themselves. (I forgot German & Italian are common languages people speak as I don't know much German & Italian so mainly mentioned the common languages I speak.)
Let your creativity run free.
You can be who you want to be.
You can do what you want to do.
The only 1 you have to please is you.

•   Information