Checklist

Come along and discuss anything you want. Talk about what inspires you, or talk about the weather.
alexcr87

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:06 pm  

This morning I realized I didn't have a properly defined (mental) checklist about meditation. A lot of important things in my life have checklists to help me remind myself of important things.

My checklist for meditation would go like :

1) Make sure I have the right posture. This means finding the way of sitting that impairs the less my breathing.
2) Release the tension - especially the muscles around my eyes (which I keep on tightening when I think), but everywhere else also.
3) Be sure to take a couple of deep breaths to "lead the way", and after that keep coming back to the breath when I notice my mind wanders.

If I notice, during a meditation session, that I'm forgetting one of those three points, I repeat that "procedure" in this order. This is linked to the fact that I don't think I can release the tension (#2) without being in the right posture (#1) or that I can't breath properly (#3) if I'm tense (#2), etc.

Do you have a checklist?

(or any other thought on this sort of thing for that matter ;-))

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:44 pm  

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Alex.

I'm all for lists for planning and stuff, but I personally wouldn't use it for mindfulness.

Mindfulness for me is all about going with the flow, surrendering to what is, non-striving, non-attachment, non-judgment, and a lightness. I think checklists for mindfulness go against that. I'm not talking about your list specifically of course.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:01 am  

Hi Alex,
My own feeling is that a checklist such as your own can be useful but it's important not to get too attached to it or overthink it.
In particular, I think there's a slight danger in overthinking posture. Some people seem to get very hung up about it, even obsessive. As a mindfulness teacher, I try to keep posture instructions as simple and straightforward as possible: make yourselves comfortable, place feet flat in floor, keep back straight but not stiff, ensure that the neck is comfortably balanced on shoulders with no straining.
All best,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

•   Information