Back to Thinking Mode

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
Gareth
Site Admin

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:15 pm  

Why not?

I am constantly tinkering with my practice 7 years after starting it. You have nothing to lose IMO.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:04 pm  

'Due to some reason JonW is not helping me.'

With respect, I am extremely busy at present. My apologies if some of my responses were brief and came over as a little blunt. That was not my intention. Nor have I made any kind of decision not to help. I just happen to be busy.
Thank you.
All best wishes,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Ibnezubair
Practice Mindfulness Since: 06 May 2016

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:03 pm  

Jon,
If you are busy, no problem. I have already written that I respected you and admired you for your commitment. You have helped me a lot in the past, and I am always thankful to you. If you choose, you may respond to my concerns, after your busyness is over. Thank you.

Ibnezubair

Matt Y
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 0-1997

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:08 am  

HI Ibnezubair,

I haven't been on this forum for a while, but I checked in today and read your post.
I think everyone has responded with potentially helpful suggestions.

However, I have found that sometimes it's necessary to change, modify or try a different approach when things are not working as well as you'd like.

I have a couple of suggestions you might like to try.

1. When meditating, and throughout the day, you may like to tell yourself, in a very kind and supportive tone:

a) It's okay to feel like this.
b) This too will pass.
c) The only way out is through.

2. When meditating, and throughout your day, try to listen to your thoughts with compassion. Treat each thought like a friend who has come to visit. Your job is to greet that thought with respect and kindness. However, you don't have to believe what your 'friends' say. Remember, a thought it just a tiny electrical impulse firing in your brain — barely a fraction of a volt — and really not much to worry about!

3. See if you can do something each day that brings you pleasure or satisfaction.
It could be that you take the time to sit down and really enjoy a cup of tea.
It could be that you seek out a friend and tell him or her how much you appreciate them.
You could just set yourself a small task to finish, and then reward yourself for completing it.

As always, make sure you get adequate sleep, eat well, and do some vigorous exercise each day.

All the best,
Matt.
Team Member
Follow us on Twitter for frequent mindfulness messages (click here)

Matt teaches meditation and mindfulness in Melbourne, Australia and worldwide via his online course.
http://melbournemeditationcentre.com.au/
http://www.learn-to-meditate.com.au/

piedwagtail91
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 3-2011

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:42 pm  

I'd suggest sticking with your practice or as has been suggested vary it.
Awareness to life is the key.
That will only come through practice.
Thoughts aren't the problem, how you relate or percieve them is.
Life comes in cycles, just like the sun rises and sets, so it rises and sets the next day, it doesn't stop. The good news is nothing lasts forever. The bad news is nothing lasts forever.
Life is constantly changing, it's impossible to stop it doing so.
Awareness, from practice isn't about solving problems for you.
Its to help you be aware of situations that can , if left to themselves or held in thought, become problems.
If you become aware of a developing situation then deal with it. Before it becomes a problem.
Its far easier to tackle something small than it is to wait till you've thought it in to a big one.
There are only ever two things you can do in any situation.
One is to take action to fix it , so that it doesn't become a problem. The other is to accept that there's nothing you can do about it and let it be. Accept it.
It's thought that causes problems, it's how you relate to a situation that's the problem, not the situation itself.

Ibnezubair

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:32 am  

Dear Matt and piedwagtail91,

Suggestions of both of you are really helpful. I am thankful to you.

Ibnezubair

Ibnezubair

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:32 pm  

Got the book "The Turning Point". Started reading today!

JonW
Team Member

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:32 pm  

Thanks Ibnezubair. Hope you enjoy!
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Ibnezubair

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:09 am  

Hello Jon,
Really enjoying the book. Very well written. Guides perfectly.
Came across one problem. When downloaded the guided meditations, tracks in Weeks 1, 2 and 8 folders are not according to the requirement of the practices proposed for these weeks in the book.
I have made the correction for me. If you want, I may send you the folder, in which the tracks are rearranged.
Thank you.

JonW
Team Member

Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:49 pm  

Thank you, Ibnezubair.
I will look into that and private message or email you.
Best wishes,
Jon

•   Information