Pain Meditations

Post here if you have been practising for a while, and you are starting to get your head around what this is all about. Also post here if you are a long-term practitioner with something to say about the practice.
Mindsfull

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:27 pm  

Hi all,

Im always hearing about JKZ work with chronic pain but cant really find anything on YouTube in terms of guided meditations or anything? Is it just basically the body scan but then working with select areas? Or the open monitoring style meditations but again working on painful areas? Ive looked for guided meditations but a lot of them are more visualisation mediations etc.

Was wondering if anyone knew of anything i could listen to or something to read?

Thanks,

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:01 am  

That's true Mindsfull, I haven't really encountered any guided meditations specifically for (chronic) pain.

But the idea is basically to be with the pain, and gently explore it a bit. Maybe the outer edges first, working your way inwards. Maybe only a few minutes at first. Don't immediately overdo it. Apart from the pain itself, you can also try to be aware of what that exercise does to your mind (eg anxiety etc) and what other bodily sensations it might trigger (eg adrenalin rush etc).

The idea behind it being that pain doesn't cause suffering, but our resistance to it causes suffering. With exercises like these we can learn to let go of that resistance. I know from experience that it also actually diminishes the pain (which has also been scientifically proven).

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:46 am  

Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

•   Information