Fits of Anger

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
Ibnezubair
Practice Mindfulness Since: 06 May 2016

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:17 am  

I have a history of fits of anger. Mindfulness practice has improved me much. I am more at peace now. But though my frequency of anger fits is reduced now, I feel that whenever I am in an anger fit, its intensity is much greater and I tend to loose all of my controls. So what should I do to reduce the intensity of anger? I will like to mention that I tend to loose control so much that I fear that I may harm myself or others.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:40 am  

Hi Ibnezubair,
How are you going about your mindfulness practice? Do you have a teacher? Are you learning it from a book? What kind of structure do you have to your practice? How often do you practice body scans, mindful movement, walking meditation etc.?
Best,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:49 am  

Hi Ibnezubair,
That sounds very serious. I'd advice you to find some good counseling. Don't do this all on your own! Please keep us informed!
Peter

JonW
Team Member

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:57 am  

As Peter says, some kind of talking therapy might be of help to you. Or a combination of counselling and mindfulness. Have you looked into these options?
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Ibnezubair

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 am  

I do not have a teacher. I live in Pakistan and such facilities are not available here. I am not practicing it with the help of books. I have downloaded lectures and guided mindfulness audios of Monica A. Frank. Also I get help from forums etc. from internet. If someone suggests a good book book I will try to find it to purchase. In my country every good book will perhaps not be available.
I do not follow a well organised structure for mindful practice. Though I try to practice it while eating, walking, before sleeping, after awaking, during my work in office. But not in very organised way. Rather I practice when I find time.
As far as counselling is concerned,I have been taking counselling for more than 10 years. But most of the time it was not very beneficial. My exposure to mindfulness made me confident and hopeful, and it really made me peaceful, but now I am facing this problem.

JonW
Team Member

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:51 pm  

Hi Ibnezubair,
In my opinion, it's damn near impossible to get a decent grounding in mindfulness simply by downloading lectures and guided mindfulness audios, or by getting advice from forums. Mindfulness is experiential, not conceptual. It needs to be practiced.
Let me know if you would like details of my own online course. Or check out Finding Peace In A Frantic World by Mark Williams & Danny Penman - which is an 8 week course in book form.
Best wishes,
Jon

Ibnezubair

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:11 pm  

Yes Jon, please send me the link of your online course. I will also search the recommended book from book stores to purchase.

Ibnezubair

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:39 pm  

I have searched for 'Finding Peace In A Frantic World'. It is available in a nearby book store.

JonW
Team Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:24 am  

Ibnezubair

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:54 am  

Hi Jon,
During reading your recommended book "Mindfulness-Practical Guide to Finding Peace in a Frantic World", I came to know that the mindfulness program of 8 weeks is started from square one. That is, the program for initial weeks is of elementary level and I feel myself on an advanced stage. So I need your advice. Should I strictly stick to the program and do nothing more than that is outlined in that particular week program, or may I do additional mindful practices that I was already doing.
Thank you

•   Information