FPIAFW - Week 5: Turning Towards Difficulties

FeeHutch
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2012

Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:20 pm  

There certainly was a week 6 thread as we had one for each week but it seems to have disappeared at some point. Please feel free to start your own week 6 thread to keep the discussion going :D
“Being mindful means that we take in the present moment as it is rather than as we would like it to be.”
Mark Williams

http://adlibbed.blogspot.co.uk/p/mindfulness-me-enjoy-silence.html
Find me on twitter - @feehutch

Mindsfull

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:57 pm  

Well I have to say this week (which I've decided to run for 2 weeks) has been really difficult to grasp. I love the concept but I don't feel any emotions coming up during the meditation and struggle to bring in the emotion of anxiousness even if it was as recent as today. I visualise the situation and feel like I just might start to feel something... then... nothing!

I've tried to use situations from the past as well as recent that have frustrated me, made me panic, angry and more recently I've started to play with the irritation of sitting for so long - the urge to move as my back feels some discomfort. Or another one I tried is when I had an itch on my face during the practice and fought against the urge to scratch it which built up some irritation.

But even this is just a noticing of the jaw wanting to clench or starting to clench... or I wriggle my feet slightly as the irritation builds. I'd really like to practice this with times of anxiousness.

Did anyone else have a similar problem?

Kukurijek
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Feb 2016

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 pm  

Working through Week Five this week, and as many of the people on this thread, I am finding it challenging to deal with difficulties portion of the meditation.

I guess the challenging part is not the difficulties - as they are the ones who brought me to meditation in the first place - but the bodily reaction and through that our mental reaction. When I am overwhelmed, I typically get a slightly rapid breathing pattern and a feeling in my stomach that will be familiar to anyone with anxiety - that feeling of pressure. However, when I start breathing into the space, the feeling typically goes away. Should I be coming up with more and more difficulties? I am feeling as if I have to maintain my focus on difficulty in order to maintain the bodily sensation I guess?

Also - I completely understand the idea behind leaning how to deal or rather accept how your body and mind feel after a difficulty is presented. I cannot, however, yet visualize what that would be. Being that I am someone who deals with obsessive thoughts, especially health related ones, I am wondering how I am ever going to clear the hurdle and invite the obsession and "be" with it (as it already seems like I am being with it, being that it is an obsession). Apologies if this sounds like jibberish.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:57 pm  

'However, when I start breathing into the space, the feeling typically goes away.'

That's great. That's mindfulness in motion.

'Should I be coming up with more and more difficulties? I am feeling as if I have to maintain my focus on difficulty in order to maintain the bodily sensation I guess?'

No. If the feeling goes away, simply return to your breath as an anchor. Job done.
Sounds like you are doing great. Do keep us informed how you are getting along with the course.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

•   Information