Mindfulness during the day

Post here if you have been practising for a while, and you are starting to get your head around what this is all about. Also post here if you are a long-term practitioner with something to say about the practice.
monkey

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:19 pm  

Hi there. I am interested in how people practice mindfulness during the day, I mean during their daily lives, not while meditating. Do you have a particular way to remind yourself to come back to the present moment? Do you have a particular practice that you do?

I practice yoga in the morning and sit in the evening and these things just happen without much analysis - I practice how I practice on that day. But I find that mindfulness during my day is a source of some worry for me, I often write down things I think I should be doing 'breathe, relax, reground, be grateful, look after myself' etc. and then I feel myself clamping down on these lists: 'what if I forget?' I find that I am constantly reminding myself of what I need to be mindful of and, in the process, getting caught up in a bunch of thoughts about how important it is to be mindful, grateful etc and therefore not being mindful at all!

I've had this with the sitting practice before and then one day decided to think of it as just sitting down somewhere for a while, no pressure, no technique. Gradually I've brought back more structure and that desire to control hasn't returned. But I just can't seem to shake it for the day to day stuff. I struggled enormously and for a long time with lots of negative thoughts, which the practice really made me a lot more aware of and which I found it hard to deal with. There's a post in the 'why do people give up' thread from me saying that I'm deliberately stopping because I can't face the onslaught when I pause and become aware of it. Feeling gratitude and self care helped a lot with that. I think that I'm worried if I stop listing all this stuff things will start to feel very bleak again.

I'd be really interested in how others practice in the day, especially if it's very simple. My basic thing in the day is to breathe into my belly, breathe out and relax my whole body, feeling the weight of it. That has a wonderful centring quality. But I end up trying to tack other things on to that as well and it's just too much to keep in mind.

Sorry, long post!
everybody just bounce

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:44 am  

Gradually, being mindful became my default position. I don't need anything to remind me. I just naturally snap back into being mindful during the day.
Practice has been key. That and deciding early on in my practice that mindfulness was the most important thing in my life. Everything else follows from it.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

monkey

Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:47 pm  

Hi Jon. Thank you. I think that means I can let go of all my crushing control and trust that the formal practice will support me. That's good news.

Incidentally, do you know of any secular mindfulness and meditation centres in London? Periodically I try to find a practice group but I haven't been able to. Thank you.
everybody just bounce

JonW
Team Member

Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:03 pm  

'Incidentally, do you know of any secular mindfulness and meditation centres in London? Periodically I try to find a practice group but I haven't been able to. Thank you.'

I'll look into it. Meanwhile, let me know if you ever pop down to Brighton/Lewes.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Gareth
Site Admin

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 am  

Take a look at these guys:

https://www.londonmindful.com/

They seem to be genuine from the dealings I've had with them.

In regard to how I practice on a day-to-day level. I just try to practise pretty much whenever really. A formal meditation first thing in the morning and then heaps of informal stuff throughout the day. Sure, I notice myself thinking all the time and when that happens, I use it as an invitation to come back to the present moment. There are times when negative repetitive thoughts arise; this is often a sign that something needs to change in my life. Sometimes I'm unable to make a change, so I just have to ride the waves.

JonW
Team Member

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:54 pm  

' There are times when negative repetetive thoughts arise; this is often a sign that something needs to change in my life. Sometimes I'm unable to make a change, so I just have to ride the waves.'

Beautifully put, squire.

monkey

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:52 pm  

Thank you both. Gareth, they look good, thanks. I am looking more for a regular sitting group so that it's the same people each time, but will l look more at what they have on there.

There are two groups near me, a Japanese zen one and one that follows Thich Nhat Hanh and insight meditation. I could probably go back to either but can't make the days at the moment. I guess the reverence for particular people or practices and ritual doesn't sit very comfortably with me though.

I liked your comment about negative repetitive thoughts as well, thank you.
everybody just bounce

anatta
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jun 2010

Sun May 07, 2017 3:42 am  

- Formal meditation supports mindfulness
- During the formal meditation, if the mind gets calm; it stays clam for some moments and then the calmness starts to fade when thoughts again start arising in the mind. Use this to see thoughts feelings, etc arise and pass away.

Dan Gstone
Practice Mindfulness Since: 04 Feb 2004

Tue May 09, 2017 11:08 am  

Good evening to all from Australia

This is my first visit to the forum, and as such this will be the first post.

I do my best to engage with my senses more than anything. I have found that for me anyhow, my senses are the key to awareness and mindfulness throughout the day.

JonW
Team Member

Tue May 09, 2017 8:48 pm  

Hi Dan,
Welcome to the forum.
How long have you been practicing? How's your practice going?
Cheers,
Jon

•   Information