Focus on breath or thoughts?

Post here if you have been practising for a while, and you are starting to get your head around what this is all about. Also post here if you are a long-term practitioner with something to say about the practice.
DJLSFC
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2014

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:57 am  

I like to focus on thoughts quite a bit and their reaction in the body. I used to have a lot of issues with generalised anxiety and I feel that focusing on thoughts is a very good method of keeping certain thoughts I still have, in context - sometimes, if I`m in the right mood, I try to intensify the thoughts and remember every detail of a past situation that troubles me and see how the body reacts to it - hopefully can prepare me for future difficulties.

Cheers, Dave.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:25 am  

Hi Dave,
Why would you need to intensify the thoughts? On face value, that approach sounds lacking in self-compassion.
Best wishes,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Mr Happy
Practice Mindfulness Since: 03 Mar 2013

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:24 am  

Some days my thoughts run riot so I keep gently bringing my attention back to feeling my breath, other days I am swamped by emotions and/or moods so I shift my focus to mindfully holding them in awareness. Sometimes concerntration is strong so I let the breath go and watch thoughts and images pass then relax into open objectless awareness.
I tend to work with whatever presents itself, I tend to do 10 min sessions in the evening and mindful movement.
Quality over quantity and all that.

Happyogababe
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2008

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:54 am  

Hi,
I know what you mean about wondering if you should be progressing to something else after grounding yourself with your breath, I have pondered that too. I have noted that once I have grounded myself either with breath or body scan or sounds (or whatever) I naturally begin to ''see what happens'', it is as though I am at a place where I feel relaxed and calm enough to ''simply be''. I don't always have that happen, some days my mind is much busier or sometimes my mind and body are exhausted or in pain (I have a health condition and at present I'm having a really bad patch so energy and fatigue and pain are pretty bad) and it is during these times that the breath helps me out the most and especially body scan.
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf' Jon Kabat Zinn

JonW
Team Member

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:50 pm  

'I know what you mean about wondering if you should be progressing to something else after grounding yourself with your breath, I have pondered that too.'

It's a very good point.
In Full Catastrophe Living (a book I would highly recommend), Jon Kabat-Zinn talks about progressing to 'choiceness awareness' – deliberately bringing your attention to whatever is unfolding in the moment: your own breathing, the sound of traffic outside…being open and receptive to whatever comes into the field of awareness…allowing everything to come and go.
That's pretty much how I meditate now. Rather than choose one anchor, I go into a meditation with the intention of paying attention to whatever comes up.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Gareth
Site Admin

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:18 am  

I mix it up. Sometimes I use my breath, sometimes I use music, sometimes I go choiceless. Quite often, I am woken my one of the boys, and I will deliberately give my attention to him for half an hour. I find the latter to be a wonderfully energising practice.

JonW
Team Member

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:26 am  

'What we are building is the capacity to be aware in the moment it doesn't really matter what the object is.'

Never a truer word was spoken.

Happy Buddha
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 1989

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:23 pm  

Hi guys, Suryacitta here. If you stay with this basic principle you cannot go far wrong - Awareness is primary, the object of awareness is secondary. What we are building is the capacity to be aware in the moment it doesn't really matter what the object is. When we get caught up like this - what should I be aware of breath, sounds or whatever - label it all as thinking. That is what it is. Cheers
Suryacitta is mindfulness teacher and author
He has been practising since 1989.
He runs regular webinars FREE for people who cannot attend classes in person
https://app.webinarjam.net/register/36719/4a30c901be
http://www.mindfulnesscic.co.uk

Spikeycloud
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 0-2016

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:15 pm  

HighFlyingBird wrote:Hi Gareth. I can manage 30 minutes just fine and I've been doing that every day for around a month now. Obviously thoughts come and go and some days my mind is busier than others but I feel 30 minutes is a good length - Not too short or too long. As for enlisting a teacher, I prefer to do things on my own - its just my nature I suppose. I have read a lot of stuff on meditation/mindfulness/yoga and am currently practicing these daily.

I just wondered if after my mind is relatively calm I should be doing something different other than staying with the breath...

All responses hugely appreciated.

Staying with the breath is obviously not a goal but a method to make it easier to get to your goals. I see it as teaching the mind to be present automatically so that you are completely aware and and make the best choices. If you are in the mind you are in the past or future and therefore not making any choice in the now - you are reliving a past event or a imaginated future - and therefore not making any change at all at that moment.

•   Information