The body scan

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:56 pm  

'A similar thing I am confused about is when people discuss, say, doing the washing-up mindfully. You are striving for a result - to get them done!"

Not so. To do the washing up mindfully is simply to be attentive to each step of the process. The sensation of warm water on hands, the smell of the washing-up liquid etc. There is no striving involved but somehow the dishes get done. Mindfully.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Babywhale
Practice Mindfulness Since: 27 Feb 2017

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:34 pm  

Just thought I would share my early experiences of undertaking the body scan.

By way of background, I am new to mindfulness practice, having started my journey just over a week ago. So far I have tried the body scan (30 minutes) each evening, and a couple of shorter mindful breathing meditations during the day.

I have therefore undertaken about 8 body scans so far, and my first observation is that each experience is unique.

During some body scans I find that my mind has drifted off into thinking for quite a while (I realise, for example, that I completely missed the arms, shoulders and neck). On some occasions I have been quite restless and haven't been able to resist the temptation to move my legs, scratch an itch, or even rollover onto my side. There have been a couple of body scans, however, when I've felt awake throughout the full 30 minutes, and haven't experienced feelings of restlessness or boredom - no urge to be doing anything else or be anywhere else.

One thing that is common to all of my body scans so far, however, is that I'm aware of an absence of sensation in most parts of my body. Apart from the abdomen and the chest, I just don't feel much happening in most other parts of my body, no heat or coolness, no tingling, no aches or pains or stiffness or tiredness. I'm glad I recognise the absence though, and it's not something I'm worrying about at the time of the bodyscan (and the guide confirms that an absence of sensation is okay) however it does make for some rather uneventful body scans so far. I've attributed some of the restlessness and boredom I've experienced so far in some body scans due this absence of sensation.

I'll keep going with it though - because I am finding the body scan a way of spending time with myself, as I am, there and then, and I do feel more alert and awake afterwards.

JonW
Team Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:46 pm  

Great post, Babywhale.
That was a very insightful comment on the body scan. Even after years of meditating I sometimes find it difficult to locate any sensation in certain parts of my body. But, as you say, it's enough to notice the absence of sensation.
Keep us informed about your progress.
All best,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

NeverSurrender
Practice Mindfulness Since: 12 Mar 2017

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:54 pm  

Hi all - I am a newbie to Mindfulness too, and have a specific question about the body scan. I have been practising using the guided meditation from the CD in Mark's book "Mindfulness, the 8 week guide to finding peace in a frantic world".
During the body scan he says "turn to the knees, and letting the attention rest here, not thinking about the knees..."
I find this confusing - to me that sounds like a contradiction - but obviously does make sense.
I also have a general question which is - When doing the body scan do most people visualize the part of the body which is being "brought to the centre" of awareness?

I realise that it will be different for everyone, but just wanted to see what more experienced mediators think.
Thanks for any advice or guidance.
Jon

Elisa

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:02 am  

NeverSurrender wrote:I also have a general question which is - When doing the body scan do most people visualize the part of the body which is being "brought to the centre" of awareness?
Jon

This post is a couple of months old but I'll put my 2 cents anyway.

I'm rather new to meditating, started in March of this year. I'm kind of "glad" other people have body scan problems too. I thought it was just me..
I tried different ways of visualising. The xerox-machine approach didn't really work for me. What I do now is kind of go inside my body, like a tiny submarine would do. That way I go and explore. For me this tends to work.

JonW
Team Member

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:05 pm  

'What I do now is kind of go inside my body, like a tiny submarine would do. That way I go and explore. For me this tends to work.'

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Jon

japa.guru

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 am  

Hi - great post, so true!

Even the touch of your clothes on your skin is a sensation!

When my mind is busy and I am struggling to be aware of my sensations I like to always return to the breath, slow down and allow my mind to quieten before returning to the scan.

With love!
Harry, founder of Japa - a mindful life. Japa is an online blog and mindfulness shop that hopes to spread positive life ideals and provide a selling platform for artisans from developing countries.
https://japa.guru

BronteFan
Practice Mindfulness Since: 11 Dec 2018

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:05 pm  

I first learnt the body scan after learning progressive muscle relaxation at school before I stopped meditating (then I rediscovered meditation last year when advised to explore mindfulness by friends). I like the body scan but not progressive muscle relaxation. I find the body scan relaxing. I normally pick & choose each day from beach visualisation which is my favourite, breathing meditation & the body scan.

I found the video shared here relaxing.
Let your creativity run free.
You can be who you want to be.
You can do what you want to do.
The only 1 you have to please is you.

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:23 am  

Thanks for sharing, BronteFan.

BronteFan
Practice Mindfulness Since: 11 Dec 2018