Slacker looking for a way to save time meditating

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:09 pm  

Bert, this is not done in the head, it's done in the heart. It's all about letting go.
Best wishes, Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Bert
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jul 2016

Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:12 pm  

I am not sure what you mean by that it is not done in the heart and not head, would you mind explaining?

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:20 pm  

Jon wrote 'it's done in the heart, not in the head'.

What he probably means Bert, is that one has to feel these things, not rationalize them. It's like learning to ride a bike, you can read about it all you like, but you can only learn it by doing it.

Peter

Bert

Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:23 pm  

Ok, so he probably means that the benefits of meditation come as feelings which are impossible to articulate unless one experiences them for him or herself?

Peter
Site Admin

Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:26 pm  

No, you're talking about the benefits, but we're talking about utilizing resources. I.e. We have to learn how to use our right hemisphere more, instead of our left hemisphere..

Peter

Bert

Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:28 pm  

Got it. I have learned more from you guys than the 5-6 books I have read on the subject. Thanks again.

Peter
Site Admin

Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:31 pm  

That's great, Bert! You're welcome. Good night..
Peter

JonW
Team Member

Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:48 pm  

'What he probably means Bert, is that one has to feel these things, not rationalize them. It's like learning to ride a bike, you can read about it all you like, but you can only learn it by doing it.'

That's it, exactly.
Thank you, Peter. For clarifying.
Mindfulness is experiential.
Cheers, enjoying this thread very much,
Good things, Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Tubster
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 May 2015

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:17 am  

Hi Bert,

In the last few weeks I've been asking myself about whether tasks in the everyday realm of existence as well as exercise can ever become truly mindful. I agree with JonW's sentiment that you must meditate, meditate, mediate. I also agree that the time for meditation can and must be found. You can do it Bert.

I have been practicing mindfulness for almost 2 years, and have found that I meditate for as much as 45minutes on one day and as little as 5-10minutes on another. I also try to ensure I freshen my approach by frequently trying new meditations.

A recent discovery for me is that tasks are being approached in a more compassionate sense. This makes me feel that tasks are more mindful but as my-bubble says "it's about noticing" sensations, sounds, thoughts, breathing etc. The degree of "objectification" determines the extent of mindfulness.

I have however found that gentle tasks and exercises can be achieved mindfully and I'm no longer critical if I don't sit down to meditate for more than 5 minutes a day. My initial consistent 20minute daily practice has brought me here. When I do stretching and yoga I notice the breath and sensations. When I do Tai Chi I notice the breath and sensations. When I do a slow jog I notice the breath but sensations start to disapear. When I fill paper work I notice the breath less. When I'm on a computer there is ONLY the computer. However, when I complete those tasks, I notice more and that's mindfulness.

All the best,

Tubster

JonW
Team Member

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:05 pm  

Great post, Tubster. Maybe you'd be interested in writing a blog for us?
Cheers,
Jon

•   Information