What changes have happened for you?

Come along and discuss anything you want. Talk about what inspires you, or talk about the weather.
Happyogababe
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2008

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:46 pm  

I've been practicing, regularly, now for some months. I'm so grateful to you guys for your support and wise advice. I've also benefited by books that I've read and the eight week course from FPIAFW, which I'll re-read again at some point as JonW is now doing.

I've noted changes. For example: I'm calmer throughout the day. I don't stress as easily as I once did. I think before I speak. I am a better listener. I am more in tune with my body and mind. I notice the smallest details in life. I am more content. I can cope with difficult situations better. What kind of changes have you noticed, no matter how long (or short) you've been practicing.

Initially I worried about making sure I found time to 'do' my formal meditation in the day, now it just falls into place and I don't concern myself about it. Some way or other it happens.

:)
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf' Jon Kabat Zinn

Gareth
Site Admin

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:42 pm  

At first, meditation is something you do in your life. Then, with consistent practice, life becomes the meditation.

It's been lovely to see your progress. I'm glad that you are finding lots of peace.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:47 pm  

Hey Happy.
That sounds great.
Fancy writing a blog for us? I'd be delighted to guide you through the steps, if necessary. You seem like a natural writer to me.
All good things,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Happyogababe

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:53 pm  

Hi JonW & Gareth,

Thanks for your input. Things are progressing and changing for me and I'm really finding out what works for me and what doesn't regarding the formal meditation.

I'd be interested in blogging about my experiences, I'll let you know when my health improves and allows for me to do that, thanks. :D

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:43 pm  

Any time you are ready, Happy.
All good thoughts to you and your health.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

DJLSFC
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2014

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:08 pm  

The main changes for me has been greatly improved sleep, and a complete overhaul in my thought process, for example I can let things be now rather than worry too much and I can let go of the past. Being with difficult thoughts is so much easier and I now realise that thoughts are not facts which is a huge bonus for me.

It has also helped greatly in my relationship with my kids which was great before but my interaction and just playing with them is now a lot better. I now like pretending to be the shopkeeper :-).

Happyogababe

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:34 am  

Hi JonW, thanks for that and same to you too ;)

Hi DJLSFC, I can relate to what you describe regarding sleep and the thought process. I find that my sleep pattern is improving from what it was and that I can avoid attaching to thoughts much easier than I used to be able to do. The realisation that thoughts are not facts and being aware of that has also been a huge bonus for me too. Playing shopkeeper sounds like great fun, enjoy :)

DJLSFC
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2014

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:12 am  

The thing about sleep Happyogababe is that I can still struggle to get off to sleep but now I have an alternative to getting all restless and wound up. I used to dread the evening at one time but now the pressure is off, and of course that is vital in getting a good night sleep.

btw, playing shopkeeper is fun, for about half an hour !! I was once made to play a game where I had to pretend to be Dad, and my two kids were pretending to be two my kids, great fun :-)

Happyogababe

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:51 pm  

DJLFSC :) Hope you've been getting good quality sleep, mines been sporadic but mindfulness helps in those instances. Keeps me calm at least.

IrinaTa
Practice Mindfulness Since: 12 Aug 2011

Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:09 pm  

I've started my journey into mindfulness by reading a lot of books. I got so intrigued into the topic of mindfulness that I've read a bunch of books about mindfulness, meditation, happiness,.... Still after reading these books, I wasn't sure if all these things could be applied in my personal life.

Now, I know it can be possible. I try to apply everything I've read into my personal life (in small steps).
I used to stress a lot. Worrying about everything. My job, deadlines, to little time for hobbies, girlfriend, travel,...

Mindfulness made me a happier person in general. I still stress a bit, but I can place everything better in my life now.
I now know that life is meant to be enjoyed, and stressing all the time doesn't really help. I also sleep a lot better, because I don't take my problems with me to the next day as much as I used to.

I'm also in the process in starting a mindfulness website. Still starting out, but for the people who want to check, they can find my personal blog in my signature.

Still have a lot to learn about mindfulness, and I am sure this forum will help me with my journey.
My personal blog about mindfulness: http://biancawillemse.nl/

•   Information