Living mindfully

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
DJLSFC
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2014

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:41 pm  

What do you all do to remind yourself during the day to be mindful?

Happyogababe
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2008

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:31 am  

Good question, the answers will be interesting. Each time I take a break for the restroom I use it as a prompt to reconnect with my body by doing three deep sighs, I do a quick (say three minutes) scan of my body or I'll observe whats happening in my mind, see how it's manifesting in my body and what (if any) emotions are around. I'll then follow my breath for three breaths and finally sense my body for three breaths.

If I stand I try to use that as a prompt to do the sighs and scan the body, I can do it discreetly if in company. If I'm talking to somebody, when it's their turn to talk I really listen to them and note the peripheral sounds too. If I'm eating or drinking I try to be mindful of some of that activity.

Every so often (when I remember) I'll stop what I'm doing and do one of the above 'spot meditation' techniques.

I have noticed that the longer my formal practice has been going the more 'being mindful' becomes a regular part of my day without me really thinking about it, like it's becoming natural.

You've made me think, thanks.

Have a good day :)
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf' Jon Kabat Zinn

DJLSFC

Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:41 am  

Thanks Happyogababe, some good tips.

I've managed to make Bath, Shower, teeth etc and driving as pretty much informal practices all the time and quite often, being mindful pops up naturally during the day although not for sustained periods just yet. So far today I have been trying what Matt Y said on another thread about observing thoughts when talking, meeting and seeing people, and as you say below, really listening during conversation and this is one area I would definitely like to become more natural at.

As for triggers, I like to do a breathing space for a few minutes every hour, particularly during the working week which helps be more mindful for a short time afterwards and I also had alarms going off all over the place to remind me, although I've ditched them now as it was getting annoying. I've now stuck post it notes everywhere and I may stick some to my kids heads to keep me calm when they fight :-)

This does pose another question for me. Should we strive to be mindful at all times or should we let ourselves go now and again?

Thanks, Dave.

fabiG
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2016

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:00 pm  

Happyogababe wrote:Good question, the answers will be interesting. Each time I take a break for the restroom I use it as a prompt to reconnect with my body by doing three deep sighs, I do a quick (say three minutes) scan of my body or I'll observe whats happening in my mind, see how it's manifesting in my body and what (if any) emotions are around. I'll then follow my breath for three breaths and finally sense my body for three breaths.

I have so much problems implementing the Breathing Spaces in my daily life! Thank you for this answer, it's really a great idea!

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:06 pm  

"Should we strive to be mindful at all times or should we let ourselves go now and again?"

This is not about striving for anything, least of all being mindful 24/7 which would be an impossibility.
Let us not forget this. Mindfulness, as much as it is about bringing our attention to our thinking and doing in the moment, is about the simple noticing that we are not being mindful. Catch yourself not being mindful and, bang!, you are guaranteed to be right back in the present moment.
As for letting oneself go, by all means. But it's possible to let oneself go mindfully. Having said that, being mindful hasn't improved my skills on the dancefloor. When I cut the rug to Sister Sledge, I still resemble a man trying to put out a fire on his living-room carpet. :cry:
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

DJLSFC

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:01 pm  

:D If you want some lessons Jon then give me a shout

JonW
Team Member

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:31 pm  

I imagine you dance like Astaire in his pomp, mate. Or mid-60s Smokey Robinson. Or like a girl. I might well take you up on that offer.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Happyogababe
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2008

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:52 pm  

Next time I hear Sister Sledge I'll be getting some images for sure! :)

That's a great point about realising that you are not being mindful and bang you are right back there....so very true.

I find the less I try to remember or check up on myself the more naturally it happens, but I think that it's the formal practice that has a lot to do with that for me. :)
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf' Jon Kabat Zinn

DJLSFC

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:00 pm  

:D I do all styles Jon, ballet is my passion though !!

JonW
Team Member

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:03 pm  

Sounds like you've really hit the ground running with the practice, Happy. Great to hear! And Dave with his ballet! Jeepers.
For the next week I'm house-sitting for my mate Pat The Hat so not living in my tent in the woods. Which is just as well as the mornings are starting to get a little nippy.
This week I'm aiming to be mindful about all the things that I took for granted when I had a regular home: a bed, hot running water on tap, a fridge, a chair to sit on... :shock:
I'm sure I'll miss the cows mooing before dawn though...
xJon

•   Information