Acceptance

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
DJLSFC
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2014

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:26 pm  

Have just returned from a walk (obviously a mindful one ;-) ) in the local woods, and as my mind wandered, I started to think about how it seems that "trying" to be mindful has taken over things for me a little bit, and if that's the case, maybe I've gone off track a little bit.

Then I kept thinking about the phrase "with a light touch" that I've heard from both JKZ and Ron Siegel, a phrase that I have ignored, and I came to the conclusion that maybe I'm trying too hard, not only in daily life but also in formal practices and that it may be hindering my efforts to some degree when it comes to acceptance of present moments.

So its a light touch for me now for a while !!

Thanks, Dave.

Matt Y
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 0-1997

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:20 am  

I like this pithy little sentence from Sayadaw U Tejaniya: "If the mind and body are getting tired and tense, then you are putting too much energy into the practice."

He continues: "When you are relaxed, it is much easier to be aware; not so much effort is required, and it becomes an enjoyable, pleasant and interesting experience."
Team Member
Follow us on Twitter for frequent mindfulness messages (click here)

Matt teaches meditation and mindfulness in Melbourne, Australia and worldwide via his online course.
http://melbournemeditationcentre.com.au/
http://www.learn-to-meditate.com.au/

DJLSFC

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:09 am  

Thanks Matt, I have used a light touch this morning ! Of course I mean for my mediation practice :D

It did feel a more pleasant experience.

One thing though, I mentioned JKZ and Ron Siegel using the term "with a light touch" but they also say on the body scan to go into as much detail as possible with the sensations. In fact Ron Siegel is keen on the term micro sensations ! I guess the two terms can be reconcilable.

Thanks, Dave.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:17 am  

"Thanks Matt, I have used a light touch this morning ! Of course I mean for my mediation practice :D"

Glad we cleared that up. :D
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

DJLSFC

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:29 am  

"glad you cleared that up" :D

Assume you need to clarify that comment to Jon ?

I`ll stop now, don't want to be thrown out !! :)

FeeHutch
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2012

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:14 am  

:lol:

Ahem.

I can remember driving myself slightly potty trying to be mindful all the time and then realising I was so caught up in judging whether I was being mindful or not that I wasn't being mindful at all. I too like the term and feeling behind "with a light touch" .
“Being mindful means that we take in the present moment as it is rather than as we would like it to be.”
Mark Williams

http://adlibbed.blogspot.co.uk/p/mindfulness-me-enjoy-silence.html
Find me on twitter - @feehutch

Happyogababe
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2008

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:36 am  

FeeHutch wrote::lol:

Ahem.

I can remember driving myself slightly potty trying to be mindful all the time and then realising I was so caught up in judging whether I was being mindful or not that I wasn't being mindful at all. I too like the term and feeling behind "with a light touch" .

I can relate to that, my first time around. A light touch (great phrase). :)
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf' Jon Kabat Zinn

•   Information