What to do with difficult thoughts in daily life?

Post here if you have been practising for a while, and you are starting to get your head around what this is all about. Also post here if you are a long-term practitioner with something to say about the practice.
Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:54 am  

Great realization, Happy! A lot of people seem to have the same problem. I never was very judgmental towards myself. I guess I'm lucky that way.
Peter

Happyogababe
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2008

Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:52 pm  

@Peter wrote:Great realization, Happy! A lot of people seem to have the same problem. I never was very judgmental towards myself. I guess I'm lucky that way.
Peter

You are most fortunate, indeed. I'm glad for you. :)
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf' Jon Kabat Zinn

fbatista
Practice Mindfulness Since: 20 Apr 2016

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:40 pm  

Bethany wrote:Once you observe your thoughts, the next step is to redefine them. Ask "Why do I think this?" Try to figure out what your mind is basing this thought on. Then question whether that is an accurate basis. Remember that just because someone said it or just because it happened in the past, does not make something automatically true. Be curious with your own mind, until you get to the point where you can redefine the assumption.

But, wait, asking yourself "why" you're feeling that way isn't against the approach-oriented way of dealing with thoughts? I mean, instead of asking myself "why am I feeling sad?", shouldn't I just realize that I'm sad and, then, watch the feeling unfold and then go away?

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:16 am  

Hi fbatista,
Yes, I agree with you. Redefining sounds like a lot of unnecessary overthinking to me.
All best wishes,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

•   Information