Underlying health conditions causing mental illnesses

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
arguseyed

Fri May 13, 2016 7:34 am  

I wanted to ask whether mental illnesses caused by an underlying health condition can be dealt with through mindfulness. Here, I'm talking about conditions where the symptoms are depression, anxiety etc. rather than depression or anxiety caused because one has a health condition.

Gareth
Site Admin

Fri May 13, 2016 10:58 am  

I'm not saying that mindfulness can't help you, but it does sound like you ought to consult with a medical professional.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Fri May 13, 2016 2:00 pm  

The way I've been taught to teach is not to take on any client who is currently in the throes of depression or severe anxiety. I'd definitely second what Gareth has said.
All best,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

arguseyed

Fri May 13, 2016 6:29 pm  

I am talking to medical professionals for my condition, but I was wondering if mindfulness can help me at all if it's caused by an underlying condition. I was told by the doctors to meditate because stress reduction is also part of the treatment. I was very fatigued this week and wasn't able to do the meditations at all.

debbieko
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 6-2008

Fri May 13, 2016 10:09 pm  

arguseyed wrote: I was very fatigued this week and wasn't able to do the meditations at all.

Would you be able to do a body scan? I'm often quite fatigued as I have a small child, and sometimes do a body scan before bed. Even if I don't make it through the whole scan because I fall asleep, I feel much more rested and less stressed when I wake.

arguseyed

Sat May 14, 2016 4:22 am  

I tried to do one at night just before bed, like you said. I couldn't keep at it. Too much restlessness. I did mindful yoga instead next morning. I find the meditations to be more soothing in general.

JonW
Team Member

Sat May 14, 2016 10:47 am  

Could you remind me if you're doing the 8-week course? If not, have you looked into whether a teacher is available in your area. The support of a good teacher might make all the difference at this time.
All good things,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

arguseyed

Sat May 14, 2016 2:21 pm  

I am doing the 8 week Palouse Mindfulness course. I had to take a break of 2 weeks in between because of my asthma. Now I'm back on week 6, but haven't been able to be regular with the formal practice. I don't have a teacher in my area.

JonW
Team Member

Sat May 14, 2016 4:09 pm  

Ah yes. I remember now.
If you think a chat will help, contact me via PM and we can set up a time to talk.
All good things,
Jon/Mindful Pilgrim

arguseyed

Wed May 18, 2016 5:39 am  

That will be great! I'll PM you.

•   Information