Does anyone know "stare a spot on the wall" exercise?

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
Matt Y
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 0-1997

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:00 am  

The article posted above is a good one, however I would like to disagree (or elaborate) on one point.

The author argues that concentration can be developed by force; but that mindfulness cannot. I would agree that concentration can be developed by force, but argue that it can also be developed by other means; and that gentler means are preferable to forceful means. I would also argue that concentration can only be developed to a limited degree by forceful means. You could apply months or years of willful effort to improving your concentration for a very minimal benefit / improvement. (The author suggests as much in the article above).

In my experience, good concentration is not so much the result of forceful effort. Rather it is the natural result of two things:

1. Curiosity or interest. When you are very interested in something you will be able to concentration on it quite effortlessly. Therefore, to develop concentration, develop your curiosity (for example, of the breath). Note that interest is the by-product of an exploratory attitude, and that (somewhat paradoxically) single-pointed concentration may lead to boredom rather than interest. (But then you could choose to get interested in your boredom!)

2. Dealing effectively with 'distractions'. Trying to concentrate while surrounded internally (for example by worries, pain and an overactive mind) and externally (by sounds etc.) is a losing battle. Your concentration will be continually interrupted. The solution then, is to develop skillful ways of welcoming, facing, being with, acknowledging, listening to and letting go of distractions. Most often, this means dedicating a significant part at the beginning of any meditation (and sometimes all of a meditation) to addressing your thoughts and emotions, along with discomfort within the body. The outcome of navigating your way skillfully through such distractions is a natural and effortless state of concentration. No longer interrupted by compulsive thoughts and strong emotions the mind comes to rest, and concentration will feel like a natural state, rather than something to be achieved.
Team Member
Follow us on Twitter for frequent mindfulness messages (click here)

Matt teaches meditation and mindfulness in Melbourne, Australia and worldwide via his online course.
http://melbournemeditationcentre.com.au/
http://www.learn-to-meditate.com.au/

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:19 pm  

Excellent points, Matt!!

Peter

JohnReset

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:44 pm  

Matt Y wrote:The article posted above is a good one, however I would like to disagree (or elaborate) on one point.

The author argues that concentration can be developed by force; but that mindfulness cannot. I would agree that concentration can be developed by force, but argue that it can also be developed by other means; and that gentler means are preferable to forceful means. I would also argue that concentration can only be developed to a limited degree by forceful means. You could apply months or years of willful effort to improving your concentration for a very minimal benefit / improvement. (The author suggests as much in the article above).

In my experience, good concentration is not so much the result of forceful effort. Rather it is the natural result of two things:

1. Curiosity or interest. When you are very interested in something you will be able to concentration on it quite effortlessly. Therefore, to develop concentration, develop your curiosity (for example, of the breath). Note that interest is the by-product of an exploratory attitude, and that (somewhat paradoxically) single-pointed concentration may lead to boredom rather than interest. (But then you could choose to get interested in your boredom!)

2. Dealing effectively with 'distractions'. Trying to concentrate while surrounded internally (for example by worries, pain and an overactive mind) and externally (by sounds etc.) is a losing battle. Your concentration will be continually interrupted. The solution then, is to develop skillful ways of welcoming, facing, being with, acknowledging, listening to and letting go of distractions. Most often, this means dedicating a significant part at the beginning of any meditation (and sometimes all of a meditation) to addressing your thoughts and emotions, along with discomfort within the body. The outcome of navigating your way skillfully through such distractions is a natural and effortless state of concentration. No longer interrupted by compulsive thoughts and strong emotions the mind comes to rest, and concentration will feel like a natural state, rather than something to be achieved.

Great point.

Then the question is: how can I develop a genuine curiosity (or interest)? By mindfulness practice?

The 2nd point (dealing with distractions) - I think - can be developed by costant practice of mindfulness.
Believe nothing, test everything.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:18 pm  

"Then the question is: how can I develop a genuine curiosity (or interest)? By mindfulness practice?"

It's often said that mindfulness is caught rather than taught. The answer to your question is contained within that statement.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:41 pm  

Very nicely put also, Jon!

I think it begins or ends with open-mindedness! That drives it and keeps driving it.

I also think, John that you have that 'quality'. There's no need for you to develop curiosity. You have it! You've proven as much. You can stay curious by continuing to ask yourself 'the right' questions?

Accept that it takes a lot of time and that things will fall into place automatically if you just invest the time!

Peter

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:04 pm  

"I also think, John that you have that 'quality'. There's no need for you to develop curiosity. You have it!"

This.
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

JohnReset

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:12 pm  

Thanks for all your help.

Matt Y
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 0-1997

Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:14 am  

How do you develop curiosity? That's a question that interests me! And it happened quite naturally.

One way to develop your curiosity would be to ask yourself what you love, what inspires you, what fascinates you, what holds your attention or what you like doing. If you love music, then learn to pay attention in the way you love listening to music. If you love gardening, or playing chess, or collecting stamps or studying obscure russian novelists, then pay attention to the way you pay attention to those things.

When you're curious you're not afraid to reach out, to ask questions, to enquire and to learn. Being curious about the breath might mean noticing which rib moves most on the inhalation, and what precise trajectory it follows when you're deeply relaxed. Or it might mean noticing what part of the breath feels the most pleasurable. There are a number of authors who have written entire books just on the act of breathing, and yet most of us are taught to count our breaths from one to four, or to notice whether we are breathing in or out. These are not techniques that inspire curiosity, which probably explains why our minds wander so frequently when we're trying to develop concentration in such a way.
Team Member
Follow us on Twitter for frequent mindfulness messages (click here)

Matt teaches meditation and mindfulness in Melbourne, Australia and worldwide via his online course.
http://melbournemeditationcentre.com.au/
http://www.learn-to-meditate.com.au/

JohnReset

Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:21 am  

Matt Y wrote:How do you develop curiosity? That's a question that interests me! And it happened quite naturally.

One way to develop your curiosity would be to ask yourself what you love, what inspires you, what fascinates you, what holds your attention or what you like doing. If you love music, then learn to pay attention in the way you love listening to music. If you love gardening, or playing chess, or collecting stamps or studying obscure russian novelists, then pay attention to the way you pay attention to those things.

When you're curious you're not afraid to reach out, to ask questions, to enquire and to learn. Being curious about the breath might mean noticing which rib moves most on the inhalation, and what precise trajectory it follows when you're deeply relaxed. Or it might mean noticing what part of the breath feels the most pleasurable. There are a number of authors who have written entire books just on the act of breathing, and yet most of us are taught to count our breaths from one to four, or to notice whether we are breathing in or out. These are not techniques that inspire curiosity, which probably explains why our minds wander so frequently when we're trying to develop concentration in such a way.

Thanks for your reply, MattY.

•   Information