Does anyone know "stare a spot on the wall" exercise?

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
JohnReset

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:29 pm  

I heard (or read, but I don't remember where) about this exercise: stare a spot on the wall and pay attention to it. Focus on it until everything disappears except for the spot and you.

Is this a sort of mindfulness exercise? Paying visual attention to what you see, in this case the spot on the wall.

Does anyone know this exercise (even if it is not a mindfulness exercise)? I want to know more about it because I'm going to add it in my daily practice.
Believe nothing, test everything.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:26 am  

Hi JohnReset,
Traditionally, it's the breath we use as an anchor when we're grounding ourselves in mindfulness practice. But, as we get more experienced, I don't see any harm in using other things (such as a spot on the wall) as meditation anchors. Some of our members regularly use music to meditate to, for instance. I believe it's good to be creative with this - creativity keeps the practice fresh.
All best,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:04 am  

Hi John,

Interesting question. It's not a traditional mindfulness practice, but a Zen practice! Its purpose is to clear the mind of everything. Zen monks 'can' stare at a single spot for up to eight hours. It is also used to build a longer attention span. Haven't tried it myself though, but I can certainly see its purpose.

Peter

JohnReset

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:37 am  

@Peter wrote:Hi John,

Interesting question. It's not a traditional mindfulness practice, but a Zen practice! Its purpose is to clear the mind of everything. Zen monks 'can' stare at a single spot for up to eight hours. It is also used to build a longer attention span. Haven't tried it myself though, but I can certainly see its purpose.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I want to know more about it and about building a longer attention span.

If you could suggest me some resources or links about improving attention span, I'll be grateful.

Peter
Site Admin

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:48 am  

Here's something about it:
http://www.thechangeblog.com/how-to-bui ... tion-span/

But you might just look into Zen meditation in general!

Peter

JohnReset

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:49 am  

Thanks @Peter.

Thanks JonW.

Peter
Site Admin

Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:02 pm  

No problem!

I'd like to warn you, though. As I understand it, Zen meditation is a very strict practice about clearing the mind. Mindfulness is not about clearing the mind. It's, among other things, about observing the mind. Which might be considered opposites.

I've read of Zen practitioners (eg Adyashanti), that had to unlearn their strict Zen teachings to be able to 'rest in awareness'.

Peter

JohnReset

Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:11 pm  

@Peter wrote:No problem!

I'd like to warn you, though. As I understand it, Zen meditation is a very strict practice about clearing the mind. Mindfulness is not about clearing the mind. It's, among other things, about observing the mind. Which might be considered opposites.

I've read of Zen practitioners (eg Adyashanti), that had to unlearn their strict Zen teachings to be able to 'rest in awareness'.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I'm not going to learn to clear my mind. I just want to improve my focus skills. By doing so I have some benefits, one of them is: being able to be aware and to pay attention to my sensations for a longer period.

I don't want to make Zen meditation my life goal. I just want to use some Zen exercises (like the spot on the wall) as means to "boost" my mindfulness skills. My goal is to be able to decide when to be in auto-pilot and when to be in "Being mode". In other words, mindfulness is my goal.

Peter
Site Admin

Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:26 pm  

Just as a respectful warning: It sounds to me that you have a lot of goals and want control. Which might work against you. Mindfulness is a lot more about the opposite; about no goals, and about giving up our tendency to control (letting be).

Peter

JohnReset

Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:34 pm  

@Peter wrote:Just as a respectful warning: It sounds to me that you have a lot of goals and want control. Which might work against you. Mindfulness is a lot more about the opposite; about no goals, and about giving up our tendency to control (letting be).

Peter

Yes, I know what you're saying. Thanks for your warning.

I just want control about being in auto-pilot or in "Being mode". That's all.

Do you think it is a reachable and safe goal? I am a beginner and I need experts opinions and advices (this is the reason why I choose this forum).

Thanks in advance.

•   Information