Interruptions to Meditation

Post here if you have been practising for a while, and you are starting to get your head around what this is all about. Also post here if you are a long-term practitioner with something to say about the practice.
Gareth
Site Admin

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:46 am  

I just thought I'd start this topic, because we've had lot's of similar ones in the past, and I think it's an important part of our meditation journey when we learn how to 'handle' interruptions to our meditation. This is what I think is the 'best' way anyway, and it's not one that always comes naturally to the mind.

Take this morning. My alarm went off, and I set myself up to meditate in the corner of the room as usual. Full lotus, trussed up like a chicken with my yoga belt, yeah, I'm rocking this baby! Shortly after, my son woke up and came into our room. My wife was still in bed, and obviously fighting the need to get up. Already my mind was complaining about the situation, bemoaning the fact that I had been disturbed after setting up my meditation position just so.

My son came up up to me and said "daddy, can we play Mancala?" my foggy mind wanted me to say "not now James, I'm meditating," but then luckily I remembered that mindfulness is about accepting the present moment as it is, rather than how we would like it to be. So I accepted the offer and today, I made the meditation about James and Mancala. Listening to the click of the stones as they drop into their holes. Really being present for my son and drinking him up as much as possible. Carefully explaining the rules to him, although he really doesn't get them yet. In the end, a most rewarding and wonderful meditation.

This is how I handle distractions anyway.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:21 pm  

Lovely post, Gareth.
A reminder that sitting is practice, the rest of the day is meditation.
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

MindfulnessJar

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:25 pm  

Wonderful posts :)

I particularly like:

mindfulness is about accepting the present moment as it is, rather than how we would like it to be.

and

sitting is practice, the rest of the day is meditation.

When I first began meditating I would often be interrupted by my kids, my cat, the phone, the doorbell etc Initially I resisted these moments, but over time I learned to accept any interruptions and let my irritation go.

When I get interruptions from my children or my cat now, they see I am meditating and sometimes sit quietly next to me and wait until I finish :)

Candour

Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:54 pm  

Awesome. All of the above, just awesome.

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:00 pm  

Thanks for this great story Gareth! Nice to see mindfulness at work!
Last edited by Peter on Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ranparas

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:03 am  

Thanks for the story, Gareth!

Interruptions during the formal meditation are tough and a lot of people have questions how to deal with them.

I don't think there is a 'best' way though. It really depends on the situation.

What mindfulness would invite, is the awareness of how it is that you are relating to the 'interruption'. For those more interested, you may want to dig deeper into the very source of the concept of an 'interrupt'. And the way we use it.

I run into this situation fairly regularly, although my kids are older and one of them is sympathetic to my practice and the other one always has a sabotaging agenda.

I usually initially ask them politely, whether they can wait until I get done. Sometimes they persist and I stop short the formal practice and try to continue with the informal mindfulness as much as I can.

There is a danger of misapprehending the acceptance part of mindfulness. It is really not inviting us to become passive or drop the volition completely. There is a goal at times and a path, but it's more about how you are going to go about your goal and how you are going to go along the path.

I would love to take this further if anyone is interested.
Thanks
Samir Ranpara
Mindfulness & Meditation Teacher.
http://portlandmindfulness.org/giveaway ... n-toolkit/
Find me on twitter @pdxmindful

Gareth
Site Admin

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:26 am  

Thanks for the post Samir. Lovely to see you on the forum.

•   Information