Do we choose our thoughts?

Post here if you have been practising for a while, and you are starting to get your head around what this is all about. Also post here if you are a long-term practitioner with something to say about the practice.
Spikeycloud
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 0-2016

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:53 pm  

The general consensus here seems to be that we don't choose most of our thoughts, which I can relate to for most of them. However when you take a substance, the content of your mind can change - which is of course a choice in itself. I have taken substances that made me experience a better version of myself - and I saw a couple of times that a lot of my negative thoughts are not serving me or other people. It felt at peaceful and happy at that time.

How are going change those negative thoughts if we don't choose them? As most say here we do get completely identify with them most of the time. So if you are for an example unlucky that 99% of your thoughts are negative, you are pretty owned if you cannot change that. And I feel not good about this because that is really a powerless posittion to believe in - and makes the mind master of you instead the other way around. Would it not be better to belief that you create your reality instead of your mind? Maybe it is just me but I feel a lot better believing that instead of being at the mercy of whatever the mind trows at us.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:07 pm  

In mindfulness, we are not attempting to change our thinking. We are simply recognising thoughts (all thoughts) as passing mental events.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Spikeycloud

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:22 pm  

I know.

Let me put it in another way then. How can thought have less influence on us with mindfulness, if thought take us over completely most of the time - and you cant change the content of it?

MiM
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 5-2015

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:15 pm  

The practice is to train in not following the thoughts, not in getting rid of thought altogether. That would be impossible.
—Pema Chödrön

This text might help you?

https://www.eomega.org/article/free-yourself-from-the-story-of-you
Stands at the sea, wonders at wondering: I a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
-Richard Feynman-

JonW
Team Member

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:43 pm  

What MIM said.
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Spikeycloud

Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:37 pm  

Maar dan moet er toch iets achter de gedachten zitten? Anders ben jr gewoon een film van jezelf aan het kijken. Kweet niet of ik daar nu nou zo vrolijk van word

Lol forum is ineens Nederlands?

JonW
Team Member

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:07 pm  

'Maar dan moet er toch iets achter de gedachten zitten? Anders ben jr gewoon een film van jezelf aan het kijken. Kweet niet of ik daar nu nou zo vrolijk van word.'

It's not so much a question of what is behind the thoughts, more about awareness of thoughts.
Jon (Cruyff)

Spikeycloud

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:04 pm  

JonW wrote:'Maar dan moet er toch iets achter de gedachten zitten? Anders ben jr gewoon een film van jezelf aan het kijken. Kweet niet of ik daar nu nou zo vrolijk van word.'

It's not so much a question of what is behind the thoughts, more about awareness of thoughts.
Jon (Cruyff)

Hi John,

Thanks again for your post. I know what mindfulness is about. Maybe I make the mistake of suspecting that mindfulness is an answer to my depression – and that it is going to stop or change the constant negative mind identifications torment I almost daily suffer from.

Mindfulness might make me watch my thoughts yes. But watching negative thoughts shortly - and then being completely identified with them every few seconds is not very fun. Esp all the negative feelings, emotions and pain that come in conjunction with that. Of course I will continue my practice.

Deborah1

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:30 pm  

Hi Spikeycloud

I am new at mindfulness so I don't know a great deal but I have an idea of what I need to do. I have been fortunate to have just completed a course. Now I am meditating daily. I am using the book and CD called Mindfulness: Finding peace in a frantic world by Mark Williams. I adopt the approach he teaches. Also I try to do bits of mindful activity through my day. I don't find this easy as my anxious thoughts are always pushing for attention.

Having lived with mental illness for 16 years I would say that mindfulness can only be to the good

Best wishes
Deb

JonW
Team Member

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:02 am  

'But watching negative thoughts shortly - and then being completely identified with them every few seconds is not very fun.'

It's about noticing the thinking process without being caught up in the content of the thoughts. Thus, we are able to see thoughts not as facts, but as passing mental events, 'mere secretions of the mind' as Jon Kabat-Zinn puts it. With practice, we allow thoughts to come and go, without getting swamped in the thought stream. In time, thoughts become less reactive.
Jon

•   Information