Where do our thoughts originate?

Post here if you have been practising for a while, and you are starting to get your head around what this is all about. Also post here if you are a long-term practitioner with something to say about the practice.
Spikeycloud
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 0-2016

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:43 am  

Clark wrote:I have heard it taught from several sources that our thoughts do not originate from our minds, so we should not identify with them or take them personally. Initially, learning this came as a relief, as sometimes I berate myself for the types of thoughts that pop into my head. Upon processing this idea some more, however, it does not make sense to me. If our thoughts don't come from our mind, then where exactly could they come from? Thanks in advance.

I suspect they come from our beliefs

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:52 am  

And where do our beliefs come from?
It's all thinking. And it's our nature rather than our choosing.
JW
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:41 pm  

JonW wrote:It's all thinking. And it's our nature rather than our choosing.
JW

True that

Spikeycloud
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 0-2016

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:10 pm  

JonW wrote:And where do our beliefs come from?
It's all thinking. And it's our nature rather than our choosing.
JW

Probably from your, parents, culture, school, media other people etc. I believe (and that is a belief as well) is that we are all born perfect as we are and that we eventually get a lot of bullshit beliefs that don't serve us well.

•   Information