Is using mindfulness cues cheating?

Post here if you have been practising for a while, and you are starting to get your head around what this is all about. Also post here if you are a long-term practitioner with something to say about the practice.
stopitaggers

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:26 pm  

I'd just be interested in anyone's thoughts on this.

Formal practice is fine but during a busy working day I can go for hours being caught up in what's going on and drift into automatic pilot mode. I know some people use cues (post it notes, bracelets etc) and I will probably start doing so but I have a weird idea that I "should" be able to be mindful without any cues.

Do you use cues? If so what, and how does it work for you?

Thanks folks.
Dave
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.” Dalai Lama.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:39 pm  

Hi Dave,
Though I've never used them myself, I guess cues work for some people. There's various apps, I gather, but I suspect it's easier and cheaper to simply use the timer on your phone.
Anyone else got any ideas here?
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

stopitaggers

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:20 pm  

Thanks Jon,

Using a phone is a helpful suggestion but would be too intrusive in certain circumstances. It'll be interesting to see what others think.

Dave
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.” Dalai Lama.

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:29 pm  

I'd advice to only work for a set time, and then take a short break to have a mindful moment. One can use devices such as a simple timer, a Fitbit (vibrate), or Gymboss (vibrate). Or use Pomodoro software.

monkey

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 pm  

Nope.

:D

Find what works for you and do that. When what works for you changes, do that instead.

I don’t mean that to sound glib, and also I have struggled with this in the past (‘but am I REALLY meditating if I...’) but I do think that you just need to do what works for you and be ok with it.

A wise person on here also told me that it’s not possible to be mindful all the time, and that I could try just becoming aware of when my mind naturally cycles back to what’s here and now. I found that very helpful.

Cheers!
everybody just bounce

monkey

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:25 pm  

Actually, I do have a cue, when I am waiting, for example for a lift, to cross the street etc., I try to use that as a cue to see what’s happening with me. Also when I hear birds singing.

Years ago I had problems with my shoulders and did physio for it and the physio told me to put post its or stickers around, not with messages, just on a kitchen cupboard, bathroom mirror etc to remind me to stand properly. That really worked and didn’t rely on setting up timers or anything.
everybody just bounce

stopitaggers

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:24 pm  

That's great folks, very helpful. Thank you.

•   Information