Mindfulness during the day

Post here if you have been practising for a while, and you are starting to get your head around what this is all about. Also post here if you are a long-term practitioner with something to say about the practice.
monkey

Wed May 17, 2017 10:58 am  

Dan Gstone wrote:Good evening to all from Australia

This is my first visit to the forum, and as such this will be the first post.

I do my best to engage with my senses more than anything. I have found that for me anyhow, my senses are the key to awareness and mindfulness throughout the day.

Hi Dan. Thank you, this is a really good reminder. I was doing this for a while and found, paradoxically, that I was more able to be aware of what or how I was thinking and feeling when I was living more in my body. But I get caught up in thinking about thinking and thinking that I somehow have to 'solve' the thinking. I've come back to my senses, sounds, sensations much more since you posted this and it feels much more peaceful and aware. Thank you.
everybody just bounce

lifecoachLondon
Practice Mindfulness Since: 02 Feb 1979

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:37 am  

monkey wrote:Hi there. I am interested in how people practice mindfulness during the day, I mean during their daily lives, not while meditating. Do you have a particular way to remind yourself to come back to the present moment? Do you have a particular practice that you do?

I practice yoga in the morning and sit in the evening and these things just happen without much analysis - I practice how I practice on that day. But I find that mindfulness during my day is a source of some worry for me, I often write down things I think I should be doing 'breathe, relax, reground, be grateful, look after myself' etc. and then I feel myself clamping down on these lists: 'what if I forget?' I find that I am constantly reminding myself of what I need to be mindful of and, in the process, getting caught up in a bunch of thoughts about how important it is to be mindful, grateful etc and therefore not being mindful at all!

I've had this with the sitting practice before and then one day decided to think of it as just sitting down somewhere for a while, no pressure, no technique. Gradually I've brought back more structure and that desire to control hasn't returned. But I just can't seem to shake it for the day to day stuff. I struggled enormously and for a long time with lots of negative thoughts, which the practice really made me a lot more aware of and which I found it hard to deal with. There's a post in the 'why do people give up' thread from me saying that I'm deliberately stopping because I can't face the onslaught when I pause and become aware of it. Feeling gratitude and self care helped a lot with that. I think that I'm worried if I stop listing all this stuff things will start to feel very bleak again.

I'd be really interested in how others practice in the day, especially if it's very simple. My basic thing in the day is to breathe into my belly, breathe out and relax my whole body, feeling the weight of it. That has a wonderful centring quality. But I end up trying to tack other things on to that as well and it's just too much to keep in mind.

Sorry, long post!

I have spent time with a professional mindfulness coach last year where we meditated and done yoga together. Our sessions have led me to see the positive things not only in myself but other people as well. Because of this, I maintain my mindful state by talking with my husband, kids, and friends, then have some time to myself just thinking about our discussions. This has helped me open up to the most important people in my life, helping me to find inner peace.

mtracyfryer
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2013

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:51 pm  

I start my day by having a sniff and a gaze out the back door at 6am. I have a blog on Mindfulness and so I have my mind on Mindfulness pretty much all the time.

Tracy

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:46 pm  

'I start my day by having a sniff and a gaze out the back door at 6am.'

As good a way as any to start the day.
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

MiM
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 5-2015

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:17 pm  

Monkey, whatever you do, don't make lists that you then beat yourself for not following. The day to day mindfulness is much harder to achieve, but the way to reach it is to believe that the daily meditation practice will do its magic with time, and pretty much leave it at that - or so I believe. Of course it is good to attempt mindfulness in daily life too, but the touch should be very light.

I recently posted something about not being mindful in my daily life on another forum, and one very important reply I got said -Compassion- Don't try to be perfect. Don't try to hurry it, changing a lifetime of habit takes time.
Stands at the sea, wonders at wondering: I a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
-Richard Feynman-

•   Information