Where do our thoughts originate?

Post here if you have been practising for a while, and you are starting to get your head around what this is all about. Also post here if you are a long-term practitioner with something to say about the practice.
Clark
Practice Mindfulness Since: 03 Mar 2016

Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:22 pm  

I have heard it taught from several sources that our thoughts do not originate from our minds, so we should not identify with them or take them personally. Initially, learning this came as a relief, as sometimes I berate myself for the types of thoughts that pop into my head. Upon processing this idea some more, however, it does not make sense to me. If our thoughts don't come from our mind, then where exactly could they come from? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Clark on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:53 am  

"If our thoughts don't come from our mind, then where exactly could they come from?"

The honest answer to this is that nobody seems to know.
My favourite definition of thoughts is from Jon Kabat-Zinn who described them as "mere secretions of the mind". Other mindfulness writers/teachers talk about thoughts as mental events. But that doesn't tell us where they originate from. Is it important that we know? Can we simply abide in the mystery of their origin?
Welcome to the forum btw.
All best wishes,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Clark

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:28 pm  

Eckhart Tolle said they originate from a "universal" or "collective" mind, and tiny thoughts are floating in bubbles everywhere, and they enter our heads. I thought that sounded pretty far out there. I have gotten pretty down on myself for thoughts which have entered my head, so Eckhart's opinion takes me off the hook somewhat. (: Thank you Jon.

blloyd
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 1972

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:22 am  

This is one of my favorite topics.

Thoughts or head-chatter? It's probably of more use to understand what thinking or head-chatter do, rather than trying to figure out where they came from. I see this as the difference between the WHY question and the HOW question. So the question is 'how does it function' rather than 'why is it so'. The how-question is very much focused on the process.

In any case, if someone is concerned about where the 'thoughts' come from, perhaps the issue is head-chatter rather than thinking.

JonW
Team Member

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:29 am  

'Eckhart Tolle said they originate from a "universal" or "collective" mind, and tiny thoughts are floating in bubbles everywhere, and they enter our heads. I thought that sounded pretty far out there.'

With respect to Tolle, he can only speculate as to where thoughts come from. He's got no more idea than you, me or the dustbinman. It's just another story and, yes, a pretty far out one. And I've always assumed his line about the bubbles was a metaphor.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Clark

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:12 pm  

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Tubster
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 May 2015

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:47 am  

I've recently wondered about this myself. Thoughts for me help build trains of associations. Once upon a time these were possibly quite primitive but became convoluted as we evolved and civilisations came and were replaced by new ones.

Trains of associations have helped us survive. For example: see sabre tooth tiger and run away; lead sabre tooth tiger to trap and spear to death; eat animal; use pelt to keep warm in winter. We've probably got millions of these threads and the neuronal networks that envelope these threads have to be maintained otherwise we wouldn't survive.

This being mode of existence which ensures our survival can also be the very thing that kills us. I think this is 'why' we meditate. 'How' we do so is recommended by our mindfulness teachers and in turn determined independently as we navigate through breath, sensations, thought and sound more effectively.

Love the question. This is just my opinion. One day I hope to learn the truth of it all.

Thanks,

Toby

Tubster
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 May 2015

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:50 am  

Sorry, I meant to say 'doing mode' not 'being'.

☺️

JonW
Team Member

Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:10 pm  

'Trains of associations have helped us survive.'

This is true. But somewhere along the line we seemed to have lost the ability to discriminate between useful associations and those that cause us untold suffering.
In the mindful space we can choose whether to follow the association or not.
At least that's the idea. :)
Jon

Mr Happy
Practice Mindfulness Since: 03 Mar 2013

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:08 pm  

Generally the mind is considered to have two aspects in most forms of mindfulness based therapy.
The thinking/analytical mind and the experiencing/observing self/the "you" that perceives the world.
In these systems thoughts stem from the first aspect of the mind.

•   Information