Itching and mindful meditation

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
tcabril
Practice Mindfulness Since: 07 Aug 1919

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:35 pm  

I can’t speak for anyone else but when I sit down to meditate I suddenly break out in all these random itches....
I have tried breathing into them (though I honestly don’t know how one goes about that...) and they get worse....
I try to observe them in a non-judging way - they get worse....
All that happens is the get more persistent till I have to scratch them and that throws me off.....
I have lost shoe meditation sessions to this issue...

Any thoughts on what to do? Should I scratch or what?

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:21 am  

You only notice the itchiness when you meditate?
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:18 am  

There's absolutely no problem in integrating the scratching into the mediation.

When you notice the itching, don't fight it by blocking it out. Notice it. Try to also notice what the itching does to you mentally and emotionally. The irritation, the urge, etc. Then be with your arm moving towards the area. And feel your fingers touching your skin, feel how it relieves.. Etc. Try to be aware of the entire process. Then gently go back to your original meditation.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:30 am  

Great advice from Peter there.
Spot on.
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

•   Information