Is the goal to be mindful every waking moment?

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
mickey

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:02 pm  

Hi everyone,

I'm working through the Penman / Williams course and enjoying the benefits of the guided meditations.

I find myself constantly trying to be "present" every waking moment, i.e when walking the dog , driving, working etc and this can lead to frustration. Would I be better concentrating on the meditations and waiting for it to cross over into every day through the practice?

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:52 am  

Hi Mickey,
Welcome to the forum.
Just to clarify. The aim is not to be mindful every waking moment. As much as anything, mindfulness involves catching ourselves and noticing when we're not being mindful, when we're on auto-pilot.
With practice and time, this noticing becomes second nature, similar to the way your body automatically corrects itself when you trip on the pavement. After a while, it's all meditation.
I look forward to getting to know you here.
All best wishes,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

mickey

Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:34 pm  

Hi John,

That's a definite relief! I kinda hoped the idea was like training a muscle, so eventually i escape the auto pilot way of thinking more often.

I was starting to analyse and scrutinise every thought or internal commentary throughout the day which is exhausting and frustrating!

Thanks for getting back to me

Peanut

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:30 pm  

I was starting to analyse and scrutinise every thought or internal commentary throughout the day which is exhausting and frustrating!

I seem to have been constantly doing this recently and have been practicing for almost four months! Does anyone have any tips for this? It is getting very exhausting.

Sometimes I will even be walking down the road and notice a car, or flowers or a colour and as I observe it I think "I am being mindful" which kinda detracts from the moment because then I start thinking/worrying about being mindful

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:01 pm  

Try seeing this as yet another invitation to be mindful: "noticing the fact that I'm conscious of being mindful."
It's just another thought. It doesn't mean that you are doing anything wrong.
Be patient. This all takes time. Be kind to yourself.
All best,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Mischa

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:07 pm  

It does take time. I practice formal mediation on a daily basis for months now, and there are days when my first informal notion of awareness comes late in the afternoon.
And then I think, with kindness, geez, why didn't I think of this sooner.

Matt Y
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 0-1997

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:34 pm  

Hi Folks,

There's a common misunderstanding evident here. Namely, the assumption that if you are thinking you are not being mindful. That's simply not true. You can be mindful of thoughts too.
Team Member
Follow us on Twitter for frequent mindfulness messages (click here)

Matt teaches meditation and mindfulness in Melbourne, Australia and worldwide via his online course.
http://melbournemeditationcentre.com.au/
http://www.learn-to-meditate.com.au/

•   Information