The importance of proper posture during meditation!

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
aly4519

Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:53 pm  

So, I came to a realization this morning. Until today, I would sometimes sat back a little in my chair to be more "comfortable," or I would end up slouching forward.

The result of slouching forward or even sitting back in the chair, was that my body couldn't breath properly. It's almost like the breath was uneven, and not smooth.

And it bothered me so much that I couldn't focus on the breath itself. I would constantly ask myself, why does my breath feel weird etc etc.

This morning (though maybe I was just having a good day), I tried to sit more upright with the back straight (slight curve of the spine), and I felt like I was much better able to enjoy my meditation. the breath felt more smooth and normal.

Maybe it's all in my head, but I thought I would share the importance of proper posture during meditation.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:11 pm  

A position of "upright dignity" is what I always aim for. Back straight, spine relaxed, head lightly balanced on body. Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Gareth
Site Admin

Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:52 am  

I've always sat up with a straight back, because it seems to make my attention easier to hold. I've no idea why.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:17 am  

It's about intention. A straight back implies uprightness, dignity, readiness, awakeness.
JW
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

DaveR

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:58 pm  

I noticed that sitting in an unhelpful posture was what illustrated the importance of posture so emphatically for you.

Your post is a great illustration of the importance of posture in meditation, and the equal importance of being aware of our posture, and our experience of it.
"Can I meet what's inside with a warm and tender heart?" Ed Espe Brown

Welcome Presence

quirky_friend

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:11 am  

I'm aware that my low muscle tone (neurological from birth) means I need to focus on good posture. I've found some of the core muscle techniques from tai chi and pilates help

•   Information