Affirmations and Striving?

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
star

Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:03 pm  

Thank you all for your helpfull replies, and yes i have come to the conclusion, stick to mindfulness and keep it simple. I have only been doing the practice for a couple of months, but within weeks, i couldn't believe how the ruminations stopped and my mind was so calm and uncluttered, it is enough to be in a state of just being in the now. I was initially worried that the loss of the intrusive thoughts has left me 'numb' and i would never feel emotions or joy again, but i'm so glad ive stuck with it, as i am now feeling the benefits of gratitude for the 'now' moments which seem to have become more intense and pleasurable.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:48 pm  

I'm with SheilaB on this.
Affirmations, mantras and self-hypnosis - as mentioned on this thread - are not part of standard mindfulness practice.
I think we need to be careful not to stray too far from mindfulness on these threads - to avoid the risk of confusing newcomers.
Thanks.
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Skywalker

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:07 am  

I thought it might be helpful to the OP to mention something that is not mindfulness but something else that might be useful. Also, knowing what is not mindfulness might help with definition.

But I note the warning, and will endeavour to remember it in any future posts.

ATB

Sky

MiM
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 5-2015

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:16 am  

Thank you Sheila for a good post. You definitely "had me" in your first sentence, I was already inwards responding with "but, what about metta?", so thank you for pointing out the difference.
Stands at the sea, wonders at wondering: I a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
-Richard Feynman-

•   Information