Is it about focus or awareness? Struggling with the concept

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
not_neo

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:04 am  

I agree. Instead of ignoring it, I thought maybe there is some truth or merit to it. But instead of letting "it" decide what to do, I thought I'll get a more logical and well-advised solution. That's how I landed up here :)

Gareth
Site Admin

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:51 am  

Keep meditating. If the voice continues, then maybe you need to do something - for peace of mind's sake?

not_neo

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:41 pm  

Yes, for now that's the plan. From what you guys are saying, I think only giving my practise some time will give me more clarity.

francogrex

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:46 pm  

not_neo, you seem quite smart and your question is very relevant. I think every person who is serious about learning mindfulness will eventually ask himself/herself similar questions and will have similar doubts - it is a part of the learning process. Mindfulness is not about focus or concentration. Concentration is a tool that can help you achieve mindfulness but it is distinct from it. In a nutshell, mindfulness is about awareness - and not just any awareness, it is a very specific form of awareness also known as "meta-awareness" or "meta-cognition". Your teacher has started the course by teaching you how to become aware of the stream of your thoughts. That's it. In addition to this meta-awareness, there is the important element of "acceptance". Accept what is happening in the moment whatever it is - pleasant, painful, no matter, stay with it, do not avoid it, do not focus on your breath or anything else in order to escape it: that would be a misuse of the concept of mindfulness, often seen with beginners.

not_neo

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:35 pm  

francogrex wrote:not_neo, you seem quite smart and your question is very relevant. I think every person who is serious about learning mindfulness will eventually ask himself/herself similar questions and will have similar doubts - it is a part of the learning process. Mindfulness is not about focus or concentration. Concentration is a tool that can help you achieve mindfulness but it is distinct from it. In a nutshell, mindfulness is about awareness - and not just any awareness, it is a very specific form of awareness also known as "meta-awareness" or "meta-cognition". Your teacher has started the course by teaching you how to become aware of the stream of your thoughts. That's it. In addition to this meta-awareness, there is the important element of "acceptance". Accept what is happening in the moment whatever it is - pleasant, painful, no matter, stay with it, do not avoid it, do not focus on your breath or anything else in order to escape it: that would be a misuse of the concept of mindfulness, often seen with beginners.

This was precisely my confusion! I'm so glad you put it so well. I was beginning to feel that me simply concentrating on elements, be it breath or sounds, was more of a distraction for my anxiety than mindfulness.
If possible, could you suggest methods, books or material that could help me get closer to the kind of mindfulness you spoke about? Because that's the one I aspire to achieve.

francogrex

Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:06 pm  

not_neo wrote:If possible, could you suggest methods, books or material that could help me get closer to the kind of mindfulness you spoke about? Because that's the one I aspire to achieve.

There are many examples, this is one that may be useful: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 4.app2/pdf

not_neo

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:29 am  

Thank you :D

I'll definitely incorporate this into my practice.

francogrex

Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:32 am  

not_neo wrote:... I still decided to expand my knowledge on the topic. I am currently reading Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana and Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon-Kabbat Zinn. I will definitely check out the book you've recommended and the 8-week course.

Between the 2 books, I strongly favor "Mindfulness in Plain English", not because the core message is different, but because the author (Ven. Henepola Gunaratana) has a better way of communicating the message.

not_neo

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:10 pm  

francogrex wrote:
not_neo wrote:... I still decided to expand my knowledge on the topic. I am currently reading Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana and Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon-Kabbat Zinn. I will definitely check out the book you've recommended and the 8-week course.

Between the 2 books, I strongly favor "Mindfulness in Plain English", not because the core message is different, but because the author (Ven. Henepola Gunaratana) has a better way of communicating the message.
\

Thank you. I'll definitely give it preference. I love the simplicity so far.

Also,
UPDATE: Simply sticking to my practice has helped immensely. I no longer fuss about 'concentration'. To me mindfulness is no longer about being acutely aware of everything happening in the now. Instead, it's a state where I am aware of my thoughts. I may be wrong of course, but for now, it's working for me. I think it was my effort to literally focus on everything that made it seems so exhausting.

Thank you all. :)

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:52 pm  

You're not wrong.
All good things,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

•   Information