Where to focus attention on breath?

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
LucidMind

Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:02 pm  

Hi all!

I am having some trouble figuring out where to focus my breath when I meditate. I don't know if I should focus only on the feeling of breath in my nostrils, or on the rise and fall of my belly, or on both at the same time. Is there a more correct place to focus your breath while your meditating? Also, can you switch the focus half way through meditation or should you maintain your attention on the same spot the entire session (for example, is it okay to focus on your belly rising and falling the first 10 minutes and then focus on the breath in your nostrils the second ten minutes)? Thanks for your help in advance!

LucidMind

Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:49 pm  

Maybe I can re-phrase my question :)

In my mindfulness of breathing practice, lately I have been focusing on the breath in my nostrils, and then moving down to my belly rising and falling, then back to my nostrils, etc etc. It seems every few minutes I notice by breath in different places in my body. Is that okay, or should I practice keeping my focus on one spot the entire time? I really am looking forward to any suggestions you guys have!

LucidMind

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:34 am  

I was thinking about this deeply today and I think I answered by own question. I wanted to write it out here to get any opinions and to help anybody with the same question who happens to come across this.

So, it's important to remember that there is no right or wrong way to do mindfulness. Its not necessarily about WHAT you pay attention to, it's about how you pay attention. If you bring an attitude of gentle acceptance and curiosity, and you make room for all of your feelings, thoughts, and sensations, then you are good to go no matter what you do during your meditation practice.

However, to answer my own question more specifically, I think as long as you are aware of your options for a breath anchor, and are able to choose consciously (rather than on impulse), you are doing it "right". I think its helpful to choose to experiment and play with using different styles of meditation. For example, choose to do one practice with only focusing on one part of the breath (for example, only focusing on the nostrils), and another session choosing to focus on whatever part of the breath is most salient in the moment. Then, you can decide if you want to stick with practicing one way more consistently or not.

One of the reasons not to get bogged down in the specifics is that, as i'm sure most of you are aware of, nearly every teacher or class teaches mindfulness somewhat differently. Moreover, there are tons of ways to practice formal mindfulness (e.g., body scan, sounds, choiceless awareness, etc). My point is that it's not important exactly where you focus on your breath in your body. Simply consider making it your own practice, and experimenting with different breathing anchors and see what works best for you!

What is most important is to be able to act with purposeful intention and to be flexible and playful with your practice. I really think that as long as you maintain the proper attitude of gently awareness, you will be greatly benefited from mindfulness, however you choose to practice.

Right now what resonates most for me is letting my awareness rest on wherever I feel the breath in my body the most in the current moment, and just feeling the breathing sensations move through the different parts of my body as my breath flows in and out. I enjoy feeling the breath coming in my nostrils, then my belly rise and my chest expand, and my belly deflate as the air flows out of my nose.

Gareth
Site Admin

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:22 am  

My opinion would be that wherever you experience the breath is the right place to experience it. It's all happening in the present moment.

LucidMind

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:25 pm  

Gareth wrote:My opinion would be that wherever you experience the breath is the right place to experience it. It's all happening in the present moment.

Very true Gareth! The only thing is that when meditating, there may be some utility in keeping your focus on one anchor the entire session. That way you can gain practice coming back to one place.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:45 pm  

"My opinion would be that wherever you experience the breath is the right place to experience it. It's all happening in the present moment."
Bang on the nail.
Welcome back, Gareth.
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

•   Information