Basic Meditation/Walking Meditation

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
rara

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:04 pm  

I just stumbled upon these and found them to be really good, answering a few questions that I've seen bouncing around the forum. I especially had one question about pins and needles and the first video here finally answered this question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH2sEqrCza4

For those asking about meditating or using mindfulness while in motion, this could be a good exercise for you - walking meditation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IFvablc6EI

Please pardon the man's robe and shaved head...there is absolutely no dogma in any of these videos, as cited in the descriptions.
Twitter @rarafeed

GianKarlo
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Jan 1985

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:21 am  

Agree with this .. Whenever we walk, we can practice Meditation.. Paying attention to walking in this way can transform an unconscious mode of getting from one place to another into a vivid and interesting experience that brings refreshment to the body and calmness to the mind...

larorra

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:59 pm  

I so agree, especially if I am walking in an open space, like our local park, when I walk my dog. I can be mindful for a couple of minutes and since I found mindfulness I have focused on trees, never realised how beautiful they were before in all their colours and shape of the leaves etc! One can be mindful just about anywhere but for me the outdoors comes high on the list.
Jackie

You can find me on Twitter @larorra08

mark_cdf

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:52 pm  

Thanks for posting these rara. I read a bit about the walking meditation but didn't quite get it. In fact, watching that video confirms that I really didn't get it, I thought it was more about focusing on your breathing whilst walking (which I'v tried once or twice :lol: ).

I'm struggling a bit with how I can use walking meditation this way when, for example walking to work, without looking a bit strange? Any thoughts?

Brad

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:16 am  

Walking meditations were very difficult for me until I thought to try something that ended up working really well--focus solely on one object you are walking towards until you pass it. Then pick another object and do the same thing. It's an amazing feeling of uncovering unnoticed beauty and makes it much easier for me to maintain a focus.

LucidMind

Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:34 am  

Brad wrote:Walking meditations were very difficult for me until I thought to try something that ended up working really well--focus solely on one object you are walking towards until you pass it. Then pick another object and do the same thing. It's an amazing feeling of uncovering unnoticed beauty and makes it much easier for me to maintain a focus.

That is a cool idea Brad!

I personally like to focus on the physical feelings in my body. Sometimes i'll exclusively focus on my big toe (of one foot), or i'll focus on the feel of my knee/s bending and straightening, or i'll focus on the soles of my feet, or the feeling of my foot in my sock/shoe. It helps to direct my breathing through my body and into the part which I am focusing on. If i'm walking fast I like to focus on the general sense of my body moving through space.

larorra

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:34 pm  

while walking my dog in the park yesterday evening I felt a mad urge to feel the grass under my feet. (it had recently been raining) so I took my shoes off and walked mindfully feeling the soft damp grass between my toes. It was amazing! You see it in movies but I have never done it before mindfully. Just thought I would share that with you!
Jackie

You can find me on Twitter @larorra08

•   Information