Week 8 or The Rest of Your Life

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
stacheman101

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:25 pm  

So what have folks been doing as their longterm practice(s) of choice after the course?

Is anyone following up with choiceless awareness, something mentioned only briefly in the Mindful Way Through Depression book. It's a practice which I've been interested in, and have tried from time to time.

Cheers,

Jeff

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:57 am  

Hi Jeff.
Good question.
I usually aim for two formal practices a day, each twenty minutes. My sitting meditation is usually choiceness awareness. I tend not to have a fixed anchor. I regularly do the body scan.
I'm a lazy sod so spend as much time as I can staring at the sea which I find to be as meditative as anything else.
My habits have changed quite a bit since I took up mindfulness. I never watch TV now, read a lot more, drink a lot less.
To misquote Elvis Costello, "I used to be tormented, now I try to be amused."
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Gareth
Site Admin

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:41 am  

Generally my formal practice is for one 30 minute sitting per day. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. I try not to get hung up on an amount of time - I practise everyday for an amount that seems right. If it's a really hectic day then I might only get a 10 minute session in. If I have have plenty of time in the day, then I might sit for longer.

I vary my practice all the time and try new things, but the mainstay of my practice is sound. Either a some nice ambient music or just the sounds that are going on around me. Sound seems to be the way that I can anchor myself most effectively to the present moment, so that is what I am naturally drawn to. One of my favourite things in the world is to listen to an album from start to finish; I mean really listen to it. There isn't always an hour to spare in a day to do this though.

One thing I have never really done much is the body scan. I tried it lots in the beginning, but it always felt really alien to me, so it dropped away. I understand the importance of body awareness, so I have been doing yoga for the past 10 months instead.

FeeHutch
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2012

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:42 pm  

I aim for a minimum of 20 minutes a day and usually a couple of sitting sessions a day. I am using Headspace and also trying out Oli Doyles Emotional Masterclass. But I am also cultivating the use of ambient music in my practice which is quite new. Sometimes I use 3 minute check in's and body scans too and sometimes it is just me and quiet presence. I feel like I have a great tool box to use as I need too. That is the greatest gift of mindfulness for me.
“Being mindful means that we take in the present moment as it is rather than as we would like it to be.”
Mark Williams

http://adlibbed.blogspot.co.uk/p/mindfulness-me-enjoy-silence.html
Find me on twitter - @feehutch

meditationman

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:34 am  

I usually start the morning off with conscious breathing or a 10 minute sitting meditation if I have time. In addition to this, I try to have one or 2 fifteen minute sessions throughout the daily. I find that what also helps is a few minute breathing spaces that allow me to ground myself whenever I feel overwhelmed or just very busy (I'm a dedicated pre-medical student, and this happens quite often lol)

stacheman101

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:58 am  

Many ways to keep mindfulness going. Sound is an interesting one to me, precisely because it's not my primary way of coming back to the moment. As has been said, whatever works! :)

stacheman101

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:13 pm  

I don't know where to put this comment, so I'll place it here. The Mindful Way Through Depression emphasizes that mindfulness isn't about more attention, it's about cultivating attention of a certain kind. A vital part of observing is doing so with compassion. I forget that a lot -- and observer "harder" rather than more gently, with kindness. But when I do remember to bring some kindness to mindfulness, it's deeply healing. Thought I'd mention that for others to comment on if they wish.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:31 pm  

That's very true, stacheman. Gentleness and self-compassion are the keys.
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

•   Information