New to mindfulness, where to start

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
Onebrokelady

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:10 am  

Hi,I'm very new to Mindfulness,so new I fact that I haven't tried it yet,I've just read a book called Cure which led me to this site and I'm interested to find out if this could help me with chronic pain
I have Fibromyalgia which was diagnosed about 16 years ago,I've had varying results with different treatments but the pain always goes back to a certain level after some time

I'm currently taking various meds to control symptoms but have been finding out about the mind body connection,it all makes perfect sense to me and I would like to see if I can manage my pain without having to take all these meds. I feel like they are causing me more problems than they are solving

I just don't know where to start and I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction
Thanks in advance for any advice or info you are able to give

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:02 am  

Welcome to the site, Onebrokelady.

Very sensible of you to turn to mindfulness for your chronic pain. Here's what Jon Kabat-Zinn has to say about it (and he certainly knows a lot about it): Click here

Here's a book from him specifically about mindfulness 'for chronic pain'
Click here

To learn about mindfulness in general, it's probably best to do a course with a good teacher.

Peter
Site Admin

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:40 am  

Our own Gareth also knows a lot on the topic, and has written a beautiful blog about it: Click here

Onebrokelady

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:09 pm  

Thanks so much for your reply,I am off to amazon to look at Jon Kabat-Zinn, I also read Gareth's blog post and found it really helpful
I work for the NHS in a hospital and they do offer mindfulness sessions as part of their wellness programme for staffso I will certainly look into that as well

Peter
Site Admin

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:41 pm  

Glad I could be of help! If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

Gareth
Site Admin

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:43 am  

Hey, Onebrokelady

Can you believe, I am actually in that book? It's a good book.

I believe that mindfulness is the most powerful too available for living with chronic illness. There's a book by Vidyasmala Burch and Danny Penman that is probably worth checking out, too.

rld
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:55 pm  

Hi, I am a rapid transformational therapist (RTT) and work with the mind body connection. You might want to check out Marisa Peer who is the founder of RTT on Mindvalley. She talks a lot about this topic.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:25 pm  

Hi rid,
Welcome to the forum.
Do you use mindfulness in your work?
All best wishes,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Eric A.
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Dec 1999

Thu May 09, 2019 10:40 pm  

I'd be very interested in hearing how Mindfulness works on fibromyalgia... status report?

Ammar yasir
Practice Mindfulness Since: 06 Aug 1997

Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:28 pm  

Hey, welcome to the natural practice to get relief from almost every disease through meditating onebrokelad.

As you are new to mindfulness practice so I would like to give you a quick intro to the mindfulness meditation that what actually this type of meditation does and why it is important for a person to practice it on daily basis. Mindfulness meditation helps a practitioner to stay mentally conscious of the present moment instead of dwelling into the past or anticipating about the future happenings because by staying in this type of thoughts you will only waste a joy of the current situation.

What are the ways to practice Mindfulness?

Practicing mindfulness is the practice of connecting with your senses like smell, sound, taste, and touch but when a person is not mentally conscious to the present moment or lost in the flood of the thoughts so he could not feel these all senses. In this case, mindfulness practice helps a person to stay active and aware of the current happenings.

•   Information