Head and facial pressure whilst practising

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
Cheesus

Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:50 am  

Hi folks

In the past couple of weeks I have noticed something during practice that has not yet occurred this time around (I restarted mindfulness about 4 months ago after a long hiatus). I often experience a pressure in my forehead as if someone is pressing their finger into my brain, or a pressure across the bridge of my nose as if it is being pinched. These experiences aren't at all painful, however my problem with them is what they mean to me.

Prior to my long hiatus, I suffered terribly from anxiety. Any change in my body would require an immediate and lengthy 4 hour google session. When I experienced the forehead pressure I googled it to death and got all sorts of explanations ranging from 'emotional stress dissipating through a physical outlet' all the way to 'you're pulling too much astral energy down and its going to damage you'.

I really dislike the latter of these explanations. First because I practice mindfulness for the philosophical and psychological aspects, and do not really have a supernatural belief. Second, though, whilst I don't really buy into that stuff it still freaks me out. Some people recommend stopping practice, others suggest just letting it flow.

I am inclined to the stress dissipation theory as, when I am suffering from severe anxiety, I get a similar pressure that runs all the way from my forehead right throughout my teeth, and this often occurs in bed prior to sleep. However, my nagging concerns are proving to be a consistent distraction in my practice and I find that I am constantly measuring posture, attitude, tension, technique etc. during practice in the hope that the pressure will disappear. I am mindful of myself doing this, which is a silver lining (what an excellent opportunity to practice), however I still see myself often getting caught up.

Has anyone else experienced similar sensations?
God himself culminates in the present moment, and will never be more divine in the lapse of all the ages - Henry David Thoreau, Walden: or, Life in the Woods

stacheman101

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:33 pm  

Hi,

Are you familiar with John Forsyth? He writes about anxiety and mindfulness. I'm currently reading The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety (available on Kindle or iPad via Amazon). I have to say that the first four or so chapters of the book are repetitious, and could have used a lot of tightening up. I'm on chapter 5 now, where Forsyth finally gets into the meat of the matter: mindful acceptance of anxiety, not getting caught up or buying into the thoughts. It's an important message for those of us who suffer from anxiety, I'd venture to say. Not getting entangled in the "messages" and behaviors our anxious thoughts try to convince us of.

Cheesus

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:46 am  

Hi Stacheman :)

Thanks for your response. I am not familiar with John Forsyth. I will seek out his book!

I am already fairly familiar with mindfulness and anxiety. I have been practising for quite a while, and have actually come to terms with a lot of my anxieties using a combination of mindfulness, CBT and NLP. The issues here was that an old anxiety pattern re-emerged that I had difficulty addressing as it presents a fear of the practice itself. I think I am beginning to come to terms with it, however.

I'm finding that as I practise more I keep bumping up against old fears that I am finding I need to work through (and when I say work through, I mean sit and observe :lol: ). I find it quite remarkable that these things begin to resolve when we eventually learn to stop fighting :) It is counterintuitive to everything I had understood before my anxiety disorder and discovering mindfulness.

Thanks again for your considered response.
Cheesus
God himself culminates in the present moment, and will never be more divine in the lapse of all the ages - Henry David Thoreau, Walden: or, Life in the Woods

boydy
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Nov 1999

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:12 am  

I know that things like the nasal pressure discussed here is not important in terms of your practice but I also have the same thing going on and I’m genuinely curious as to why it happens. So, anyone has any answers I’d be interested to hear them. Cheers

DaveSearbyMason
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 May 1976

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:26 pm  

hello . . . . there might be many reasons for the pressure you feel. I share here that which made a difference for me.
The more you practice, the more you become aware of your body (and all the other things happening). This increasing body awareness includes awareness of held tensions - some of which run deep and take a long time to change and let go. The held tensions are themselves dynamic and change over time, in impact and duration. Here are 2 things you can try to enhance focus. First when sitting, have your hands in your lap, turn your hands so your palms face upwards. Do this move slowly, and become aware of your shoulders as you do so. The aim here is to relax the shoulders. Relaxing the shoulders is an on-going focus, not just an initial one-off. Similarly when standing, turn your palms to face behind you, knees bent slightly, let the shoulders relax. Important - you let the shoulders sink, do not force them. Second, when sitting, adjust the neck by (gently, slowly) gently tucking your chin, in. This is a gentle tiny adjustment, done very slowly, with as much focus as you can bring. As before, this is likely to be an on-going adjustment and can be very small, almost imperceptible. . . . . . eventually, you can combine the shoulder sinking with the small head adjustments. This combining will release held tensions all over your chest and head. Good luck,

DaveSearbyMason
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 May 1976

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:27 pm  

hello . . . . there might be many reasons for the pressure you feel. I share here that which made a difference for me.
The more you practice, the more you become aware of your body (and all the other things happening). This increasing body awareness includes awareness of held tensions - some of which run deep and take a long time to change and let go. The held tensions are themselves dynamic and change over time, in impact and duration. Here are 2 things you can try to enhance focus. First when sitting, have your hands in your lap, turn your hands so your palms face upwards. Do this move slowly, and become aware of your shoulders as you do so. The aim here is to relax the shoulders. Relaxing the shoulders is an on-going focus, not just an initial one-off. Similarly when standing, turn your palms to face behind you, knees bent slightly, let the shoulders relax. Important - you let the shoulders sink, do not force them. Second, when sitting, adjust the neck by (gently, slowly) gently tucking your chin, in. This is a gentle tiny adjustment, done very slowly, with as much focus as you can bring. As before, this is likely to be an on-going adjustment and can be very small, almost imperceptible. . . . . . eventually, you can combine the shoulder sinking with the small head adjustments. This combining will release held tensions all over your chest and head. Good luck,

boydy
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Nov 1999

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:48 pm  

Thanks for that!

•   Information