Fits of Anger

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:04 am  

Hi Ibnezubair,
'Should I strictly stick to the program and do nothing more than that is outlined in that particular week program.'
I would strongly advise you to do just that. Always best to see a course all the way through, even if it does mean going over familiar ground.
Bear in mind the old saying: You can't step into the same river twice.
True as turnips, that.
With regard to anger, bear in mind that mindfulness enables us to take a pause at any given moment. In that pause, that mindful space, we can notice our reactive urges and realise that we have a greater range of options available; that we do not need to express the anger that we feel.
Because you feel angry, it does not mean that you need to behave aggressively. The anger can be noticed and allowed to pass
Just as you are not your thoughts, you are not your anger. Expressing anger is simply a tendency, a habit. These tendencies are unnoticed ways of behaving that we act out. With sustained practice, we learn to notice these habits and disidentify from them. Over time, they loosen their hold on us.
It takes time and it requires patience. Most of all, it requires practice. Try not to expect results after a few weeks or a few months. Keep practicing. After twelve months, check in on yourself and see how far you have come in terms of breaking out of habitual routines/reactions.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Ibnezubair
Practice Mindfulness Since: 06 May 2016

Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:49 pm  

Hi Jon,
I really thank you for your advice and guidance .
Ibnezubair

complextirpator
Practice Mindfulness Since: 11 Jul 2017

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:48 pm  

Practice mindfulness of your feelings. You may be not allowing yourself to feel anger for some reason. You may not allow yourself to be angry. Anger is a normal everyday feeling that does not require suppression. It is okay to feel anger when it arises. Be mindful of the actual physical feeling you experience from anger. This does not require you act on it, merely to recognise your feeling so that it may be processed.
I too have this issue, the main factor that leads to the frightening behavior is the loss of impulse control. If you begin to feel angry and you allow a moment to experience that feeling it may help you to recognise an impulse without acting on it. And obviously, return to your breath.
I recommend talk therapy to EVERYONE.
Good luck.

japa.guru

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:05 am  

Hi Ibnezubair,

I think there is something to be said for how mindfulness will make you more aware of your emotions and therefore you are becoming more aware of your anger when you are in fits of rage.

Previously you may have been in the same fit of rage but as you were less conscious/aware of your emotions it may seem to be less intense than now.

As Jon has said, through continued practice you will be able to observe your emotions and not react to them. Where you may have been angry for 4 hours, it will become 3 then 2 etc. As you bring more awareness into your state, you will develop the ability to not allow it to consume you.

With love!
Harry, founder of Japa - a mindful life. Japa is an online blog and mindfulness shop that hopes to spread positive life ideals and provide a selling platform for artisans from developing countries.
https://japa.guru

Ibnezubair
Practice Mindfulness Since: 06 May 2016

Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:22 pm  

Thank you complextirpator and japa.guru.

•   Information