Disagree with Tolle's recommendation to not judge thoughts

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
Bert
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jul 2016

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:59 pm  

In Eckhart Tolle's book The Power of Now, he advises against judging our unskillful thoughts as they arise. I can see how this would be beneficial when meditating. But when not meditating, of course, we shouldn't beat ourselves up, but shouldn't we at least acknowledge that the thought was unskillful? I would call this a minor form of judgment. And if we have a skillful thought, shouldn't we give ourselves a pat on the back? But that would be considered judgment as well.

And I would think that for chronic worriers that a stronger form of judgment is needed. In Dan Harris's 10 % Happier app, Joseph Goldstein even recommends telling ourselves:"Enough!" when the same unskillful thoughts arise over and over again. Hoping to get any input; thanks in advance.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:19 pm  

Tolle occasionally alludes to mindfulness in his books but what he is teaching shouldn't be confused with mindfulness.
We can simply be discerning with our thoughts. Act on useful ones. Notice the others and let them pass.
Discernment is not the same as judgment.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Bert

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:17 pm  

Makes total sense. Thanks, Jon.

JonW
Team Member

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:37 am  

My pleasure.
Good books to deepen your mindfulness practice:
Jon Kabat Zinn: Coming To Our Senses
Ed Halliwell: all three of his books
Finding Peace In A Frantic World by Williams & Penman

Cheers,
JW
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Bert

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:52 am  

I am reading The Power of Now for the fifth time, so I am looking forward to reading another perspective. Thank you for the recommendations.

mybubble
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Feb 2016

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:19 pm  

I have just half read The Power of Now. The first few chapters I found quite useful, opened a view of "Now" however the rest I find quite vague, rambling, spiritual and conceptual, and not overly useful for me. I just can't finish the book. If I really struggle for alternative ways to spend my time I may watch his youtube video some day to see if there is a final point I am missing.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. (Heraclitus)

Bert

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:29 pm  

There is a lot of mumbo jumbo, so I highlight the most salient parts which decrease in number as the book goes on.Still, it is the most useful book I have ever read, and I learn many new things whenever I start reading it again.

JonW
Team Member

Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:45 pm  

Hi mybubble, it's a pretty straightforward book. Which bits did you hit the wall with?
Cheers,
Jon

mybubble
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Feb 2016

Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:34 pm  

Hi Jon,
My words were quite harsh and I certainly didn't intend that towards Tolle, or Bert. I found the book highly motivating and covers a lot of topics. All really make sense except for some concepts eg emptiness, voids, the unmanifested but what really seemed to cause a reaction in me was sections about the creator, reinterpreting Jesus's quotes and God. To me, I found that a leap too far into spiritualism. I did watch some videos a few weeks ago and again I seemed to take exception.

Overall my reaction to Tolle is quite unmindful, judgemental, goes against many teachings. On the plus side, I have found it a good learning experience, whether it sticks or not is another matter.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. (Heraclitus)

JonW
Team Member

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:20 pm  

Hi mybubble,
Assuredly, your words didn't sound harsh at all.
Nowhere does Tolle indicate belief in a God-like creator. When he talks about God, he uses the word 'god' in the same way that he would use the word 'universe'.
Tolle is a spiritual teacher, not a spiritualist teacher. They are very different things.
As for reinterpreting Jesus's quotes, Tolle's readings are mostly based on The Gospel Of Thomas, more or less a straight non-dualist text.
Please don't confuse non-duality with faith, religion etc.
All good things,
Jon

•   Information