Trying a new technique to focus

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
oceangirl
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Aug 2015

Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:00 am  

Lately as things have been overwhelming I decided to try something new. As I drive along or go for a walk, I sort of play a game of notice this!

It pulls me into here and now, as I ride along I look for colors, or shapes, the clouds, the sun coming through, signs, big, little, bright, people, their expressions, happy, sad, serious, talking, quiet.

Instead of whirling down the street to the store, I noticed buildings I hadn't seen before.

As I walked this morning, I saw drops everywhere after the rain, and a rainbow coming from the end of how far I could see on the ocean. I noticed not just the usual birds but how they moved or just floated on the calm river that flows into the ocean.

I live 1/2 mile from a major trail that overlooks the ocean in many places.

It's been stormy here lately and I love watching the high waves, we went to our favorite beach later in the day and stood in the rain. This was after listening to Celtic songs that spoke to the soul by a local woman.

Great day!

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:11 am  

Fabulous idea.
Maybe you'd like to write a blog for us about the art of noticing?
All best,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Gareth
Site Admin

Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:02 pm  

Sounds a lot like mindfulness to me.

When we fully integrate it into our lives like this is when the practice holds its greatest power.

Happyogababe
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2008

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:30 pm  

Your post has made me aware of just how much I am mindful (naturally) during the day. :)
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf' Jon Kabat Zinn

IrinaTa
Practice Mindfulness Since: 12 Aug 2011

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:50 am  

Awesome idea to do some mindfullness. I'm still a newbie, but it's a good way to start noticing all the small things that you aren't aware of when you are to busy or to stressed out.
My personal blog about mindfulness: http://biancawillemse.nl/

•   Information