2 week break in the 8 week course

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
Serenityseeker
Practice Mindfulness Since: 11 Aug 2016

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:23 am  

Hi guys, need a little bit of advice.

I started the 8-week mindfulness course book with audio back in August and was progressing well and really enjoying the experience. I then had a bit of an anxiety attack setback with a family challenge that came up, but then a few days after that, I headed off on vacation for two weeks with my husband. I was able to decompress and chill a lot whilst on vacation but found it pretty much impossible to keep following the course. I had essentially lost the momentum. So, question: should I just go back to square one and start from the beginning again or just repeat week 3 and proceed? or any other advice?

Many thanks,
m.

Gareth
Site Admin

Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:15 am  

If you are only two weeks in, my instinct would be to advise you to go back to the beginning. I'm not a mindfulness teacher though. Jon is; I'm sure that he will give you his advice.

Happyogababe
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2008

Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:51 am  

I think I'd be tempted to begin again from the start but that's just my opinion. Hopefully one of the more experienced members will be able to advise you. Good luck. :)
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf' Jon Kabat Zinn

DJLSFC
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2014

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:09 am  

The amounts of times I've done weeks 1 to 3 of the Mark Williams book :D

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:45 pm  

Hi Serenityseeker,
For me, there's no hard or fast rules on this. If pushed, I'd suggest (if you're doing the audio course) to listen to the previous two weeks just to remind yourself of the ground already covered, then proceed with week three...
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

•   Information