A greeting

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
iameatingfruit
Practice Mindfulness Since: 13 Jul 2016

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:13 pm  

Hello.

I am new to everyday mindfulness. I read about mindfulness in the past but never made too much effort to make it a part of my life. Now I am trying to make effort.

I have had many years of trouble with anxiety that have led to periods of depression. After an extended period of reflection I've realised just how much my life has been diminshed because of this. I am hoping with effort things can change.

I am currently reading and working through 'The Practicing Happiness Workbook' by Ruth Baer. It seems a gentle introduction to mindfulness and has made me aware of self critical thoughts that seem to be quite keen to make themselves heard on a regular basis.

I am not sure if this forum is very active or if it is possible to ask people for advice but I look forward to looking around and seeing what it has to offer.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

DJLSFC
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2014

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:31 pm  

Hiya, I am pretty new to this forum and it has helped me already.

There are plenty of books around with guided meditations and 8 week plans etc. The most popular seems to be the one by Mark Williams, and I believe he has another one now with Jon Kabat Zinn so maybe take a look at those along with your Ruth Baer book.

You can certainly ask questions and there seems to be plenty of beginners and experienced practitioners which have good advice to share. I had trouble with depression and anxiety too which is why I started mindfulness so I'm happy to answer any questions that I can help with.

Could I ask how your depression and anxiety is at the moment?

Thanks. Dave.

Gareth
Site Admin

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:54 pm  

Hi and welcome!

I think it's safe to say now that this forum is reasonably active, without being a particularly chatty place. If you have mindfulness questions, then there are many people here of varying experience who will answer your questions.

So stick around, make yourself at home, and ask away.

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:37 pm  

Hi iameatingfruit,
Welcome to the site.
Good luck!
Peter

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:20 pm  

Hello iameatingfruit.
Welcome to our community. I look forward to getting to know you on here.
All good things,
Jon
mindfulpilgrim.com
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

MindfulnessJar

Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:12 pm  

Hello iameatingfruit

Welcome to the forum :)

Everyone is very friendly here and happy to help when they can.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Vicky

iameatingfruit
Practice Mindfulness Since: 13 Jul 2016

Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:03 pm  

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

As for the anxiety at the moment, lately things have been quite intense. Thanks for asking.

DJLSFC
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2014

Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:04 pm  

Hi iameating fruit, I'm sorry to here your anxiety is intense at the moment. I have been there for what seemed like forever with no way out, but there is a way out and a path to a more happy life

Are you finding the Ruth Baer book helpful ? Have you seen anyone regarding your anxiety like GP or Therapist ?

Thanks. Dave.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:34 am  

Hi iameatingfruit,
How are you going about mindfulness practice? It can be challenging without a structured routine. If you haven't already looked into it, maybe you'd like to give the 8-week course a try.
Cheers,
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Happyogababe
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Jan 2008

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:25 am  

Hello there and a very warm welcome :)

I have recently done the Mark William's eight weeks (book) and also Vidyamala Birch's (also an eight weeks book). Both have very much benefited my practice. The guys on this forum have been incredible and that's helped me to progress too.

One book that really helped me (though not an eight week one) was by Eric Harrison, really helpful, short meditations that you do can as 'spot' meditations (a kind of checking in) throughout the day, along with your developing 'formal' practice. I particularly like the three deep sighs that he teaches, this (he says) is the fastest way to calm mind and relax body.

Enjoy the forum. Have a nice day.
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf' Jon Kabat Zinn

•   Information