Derealization

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
chopperone
Practice Mindfulness Since: 04 Apr 2016

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:44 am  

Hi! New on the forum, and to mindfulness. I have GAD, and have been having som issues with derealization. Really bothersome, and scary at times. Since I started doing mindfulness meditation the derealization has been worse. I have been doing some 15 min and some 30 min sessions (just skipped 1 day) the last 14 days. Could I be doing it wrong? Do you think it will get better (or even worse) in time?

Thanks!

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:43 am  

Hi chopperone,
Welcome to the forum.
Derealization? Is that similar to depersonalisation? There was a fascinating thread about that in The Guardian recently. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... st-my-body
If it's the same kind of thing, it's something I experienced a lot in my childhood and I did find it scary. Only in the last few years have I found a context for it in the teachings of Ramana Maharishi, Nisargadatta Maharaj and many others. Just being with it is the way forward but that's easier said than done, of course.
It would be useful to get more info on your practice before throwing advice out there. Do you have a teacher? Are you learning via a book? Do you practice body scans and mindful movement as well as sitting meditations?
All best wishes,
Jon, Hove
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Peter
Site Admin
Practice Mindfulness Since: 19 Aug 2013

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:16 pm  

Hi chopperone,
Welcome to the forum.
I also would like to know the answers to Jons questions. Keep in mind, you've only been practicing mindfulness for two weeks. It is a very gradual process that takes a lot of time.
Mindfulness can certainly help with GAD/panic/anxiety disorders! However, I don't know anything about derealization. Do you think derealization could be dangerous? Is it something that could make you harm yourself? If it is, I would be very careful with self-experimenting with Mindfulness, especially since you say it gets worse because of it.
Peter

chopperone
Practice Mindfulness Since: 04 Apr 2016

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:19 pm  

Hi! Yes, it's the same thing. From what I understand it's a consequence of the stress level in the body, and quite common when having anxiety. I do agree that it's a good idea to just let the sensations come, and don't refuse it, even though its uncomfortable. I do not have a teacher, I'm just using the "Mindfulness app" on iPhone. These for the most parts focuses on bodily sensations, but also some on thoughts, the longer ones also sound. There is an option for body scan, but I never done that. I guess if i heighten my awareness, I would get more aware of these sensations as well, at least before I get used to having them...

Thanks for you answers

Tody

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:01 pm  

Hey,

I think you will get very much out of the app called calm.com It's some 30 bucks for a whole year and it's packed with just the info you need. They have a free version with one program, but paid version is much better.

The point in pause is to get to know your anxiety but if you don't know what to do with it can be a problem. In calm there are programs that tell you exactly that.

Give it a try and report back :)

•   Information