Tips

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
Moksha76

Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:46 pm  

Could you post any tips. What little tricks or techniques have you found most effective?

A couple for me:

- I visualise my ego/ thinking self as a little knot of tension just behind my eyes. As I relax my forehead and stop squinting (which I do when I'm tense- i.e all the time! lol), I imagine my thinking self/ ego uncoiling. That seems to shift my attention into the Now.

- I like Tolle's suggestion that you focus on the silence out of which sounds arise and the space within which forms exist. Becoming conscious of the silence between sounds works for me.

JonW
Team Member
Practice Mindfulness Since: 08 Dec 2012

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:39 pm  

Good question.
One of mine is: If you're planning on meditating for 30 minutes, don't think of it as a 30 minute block of time. Meditate from moment to moment.
Jon
Jon leads the Everyday Mindfulness group meditation on Zoom every Monday/Friday, 6pm London-time. FREE.
Follow this link to join the WhatsApp group and receive notifications: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K5j5deTvIHVD7z71H3RIIk

Gareth
Site Admin

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:14 am  

Good thread. I've only just noticed it.

One tip I would suggest is to learn to treat any interruptions to your meditation as part of your meditation. I've learnt that when my little boy bursts into the room to tell me about the new technique to use on angry birds, I shouldn't chastise him for interrupting my meditation. Instead, I should accept that moment as it is, and turn my attention towards him. I try and listen completely to what he has to say to me.

It's a powerful practice. For both me and my family, I think.

•   Information