Awareness of thoughts?

Post here if you are just starting out with your mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a really difficult concept to get your head around at first, and it might be that you would benefit from some help from others.
Peace789

Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:02 pm  

I've started practising mindfulness and have found it to be beneficial already despite not practising it for very long. However I find the concept of just "watching thoughts" and not attaching meaning etc a bit confusing. I don't quite get it and don't seem to really be able to do it? I can bring myself back to the present moment and recognise my thoughts as negative or whatever. But what does it mean to just be aware? And how can you not attach meaning? Hope this makes sense, thanks

Kris

Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:44 pm  

Glad to hear you're making progress!

Regarding your question, I too had problem understand why initially. I don't think it's about "not attaching meaning" but rather not to judge. Thoughts are not positive or negative but neutral. They are a 'symthom', something created in your mind. Just notice them without judging them; you feel what you feel, and think what you think. The point, I believe, is to simply accept it for what it is. Always judging your thoughts and feelings (e.g. as 'bad') will drain you of energy and make you less focused on what is here and now.

Hope this helps. This is how I understand it.

FeeHutch
Practice Mindfulness Since: 01 Mar 2012

Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:54 pm  

Hello Peace and Kris :)

I think Kris sums it up really well.
“Being mindful means that we take in the present moment as it is rather than as we would like it to be.”
Mark Williams

http://adlibbed.blogspot.co.uk/p/mindfulness-me-enjoy-silence.html
Find me on twitter - @feehutch

jdandre

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:50 pm  

To answer your question, you need to have an understanding of why you practice to begin with. It's to develop the skill of observing what's happening in your mind without getting caught up in it.

Being caught up in our minds ("lost in thought") is what causes most of our struggles in life.

Judging, "attaching meaning," labeling negative or positive - all of that makes it easy to build a story around your thoughts. And that facilitates your mind's compulsive nature, encouraging it to produce more thoughts (and emotions) to support that story.

Realize that our minds have an opinion about everything. Those opinions dictate how we interact with the world; they shape our behavior and guide our lives. Mindfulness gives us the ability to rise above that mental conditioning, and see reality as it is - without the filters and constructs.

As a result, we can make better decisions and take more skillful actions. What we do isn't clouded by that voice in our heads that comments on everything!

View what arises in consciousness from a neutral perspective. Don't favor certain thoughts over others. Just observe and see the temporary nature of all of it: whatever comes will go.

I always encourage people to follow Jon Kabat-Zinn's definition of mindfulness - it eliminates a lot of issues, and helps them get more from their practice:

Mindfulness is the awareness that arises through paying attention on purpose in the present moment, non-judgmentally.

James123

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:38 pm  

Just to tag a little on to JAndre's JKZ quote... Unfortunately I'm not one of the lucky ones who retains information too well. I have to read stuff dozens of times before it sinks in. I really struggled understanding the concept of mindfulness. So I copied down a sentence I heard JKZ say and committed it to memory. OK so sometimes I forget it but it eventually comes back:

"Mindfulness is awareness. The awareness of paying attention, on purpose, to the present moment. Non-judgementally and with huge self compassion"

Remember, try to keep everything simple. I was baffled in the beginning. Reading everything and I used to get so frustrated with mindfulness. I still do at various times. But now I recognise that frustration and try to just let it be.

littlestudent

Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:09 pm  

As mindfulness is awareness, can we practice while performing jobs that do not require much concentration, such as cleaning, washing....? Why is it better to adopt a specific position?

jdandre

Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:54 pm  

My goal is to have mindfulness permeate everything I do. I want to be present with what's happening right here and now, as opposed to letting my mind pull me into the past, project me into the future, or transport me to some alternate reality.

When I'm working, I work. When I'm playing, I play. When I'm spending time with friends, I spend time with friends. And so on.

Having said that, I'm not sure I understand your question "Why is it better to adopt a specific position?"

littlestudent

Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:40 pm  

Hi Jdandre,
I just meant that we are usually advised to sit in a certain way ( lotus, straight on a hard chair...) during formal practice, but I do not understand why.
Why can I not just lie on the sofa and try to relax my muscles at the same time? Or do some routine work, which would mean that I'm saving time?
What is the benefit of sitting in a way which is for most of us (unfortunately) rather uncomfortable?

piedwagtail91
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 3-2011

Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:25 pm  

meditation isn't about saving time, meditation makes time .
yes, you can mindfully do any activity but if you're practicing a sitting meditation or other practice such as a body scan then you have to devote your full awareness to that one thing.
you can sit in a relaxed and upright posture, it may take time , but by doing that you're less likely to fall asleep.
sitting comfortably upright sets the intention for the practice.
meditation is as much about being relaxed and aware, not relaxed and falling asleep /having a fuzzy mind.
this is part of jon kabat zinns script for his mountain meditation, i think it explains things
"Allowing the body to be still and sitting with a sense of dignity, a sense of resolve, a
sense of being complete, whole, in this very moment, with your posture reflecting this sense of wholeness…"

jdandre

Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:18 pm  

Now I understand, littlestudent. Good questions.

I'll start by pointing out the difference between meditation and mindfulness, at least as I teach it. Meditation is a dedicated exercise that you do to cultivate awareness, and develop the skill of observing your mind and its activity without getting caught up in it.

Mindfulness is applying that skill to your non-meditating time. The goal for a lot of people (myself included) is to be mindful in everything we do: working, playing, walking the dog, washing dishes, interacting with others.

It increases the quality of life and everything you do when you are fully engaged with the present moment, as opposed to letting the mind drag you away from it!

That clarification should address your question of "practicing while performing jobs..." You are doing those things mindfully (which is great, and much better than the alternative), but it's not the dedicated exercise of meditating.

Now to address positions. When meditating, my biggest requirement is having a straight back to promote alertness. You don't have to sit in the lotus position - I encourage people to sit in a chair with a supportive back, on the floor with your back against the wall, or something similar.

Unless it's due to a physical issue, I advise against laying down - you don't want to mix the exercise of meditating with sleeping.

Having said that, more rigid positions do serve a purpose. They help you see that pain and discomfort are just like anything else that arises in consciousness: temporary. By sitting with it, you can watch it arise and cease. And you can learn to "let it be" in the sense that it's independent from you and your attention. You can also notice - and sit with - the urge to move or change positions to alleviate the pain and discomfort.

It's a powerful exercise with practical applications to your daily life, but I wouldn't make it a focus until you are ready to move your practice to a more advanced stage (if that time ever comes for you).

I hope that helps.

•   Information